3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:46 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Dodge Ram 1500 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

How do i Remove Grille and Paint front Ram Head

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010 | 04:16 PM
Brado34
|
Veteran
Default How do i Remove Grille and Paint front Ram Head

How do i remove the grille?
from the looks the only way is to break the plastic pieces that hold it on.. if i do that how will i get it back on?
also.. to paint the ram head do i paint it on the truck and just mask it all off... or should i pop it off

Old 04-26-2010 | 04:19 PM
jroy
Professional

To remove the inserts you need to remove the grill shell because one of the plastic rivets holding the inserts in is behind the grill shell. To remove the grill shell there's 4 or 6 bolts along the bottom and 4 or 6 bolts along the top. To remove the inserts from the shell you need to push the center pieces out of the rivets before you will be able to pull the rivets out.

Old 04-26-2010 | 04:22 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Yeah, you dont have to break anything to get them off!! Just play around with it a little and you will figure it out! And you can get the ram head out, its just in the grill with 3 little punch slots. Mine is painted black.

Old 04-26-2010 | 05:01 PM
Brado34
|
Veteran

dude i got a bug deflector and i just tryed to get er off with a putty knife and a flat head no luck... if anything it was bending the ram head

Old 04-26-2010 | 05:05 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker

try the fishing line trick on the ram head... take some braided fishing line and "saw" that thing off... assuming it is glued to the bug guard...
the grille unbolts from the hood...

Old 04-26-2010 | 05:12 PM
Brado34
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
try the fishing line trick on the ram head... take some braided fishing line and "saw" that thing off... assuming it is glued to the bug guard...
the grille unbolts from the hood...
hmm i guess i could try that..
for the grille and ram head should i use color matching paint that i already have... or some flat black that i already have..
im going to clear coat them both no matter what..

anyone have or know of a dyi to remove the ram head and chrome grille inserts..

if i take off thouse bolts will the whole black grille fall off along with the chrome inserts?

Old 04-26-2010 | 05:46 PM
Brado34
|
Veteran

yeah guys the rams head isnt coming off.. i got most of it to come off.. ( the outtering ring) but then it started to crack.. i think i may just have to paint it on the truck and maby slip a piece of paper under it or something..

the grille... if i take off thouse bolts the whole grille is going to come off.. i just want the silver inserts out.

Old 04-26-2010 | 05:50 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

the easiest way to take the inserts out is to remove the whole grille, place the grille face down on a sturdy surface, then push out the rivets. Also, you may have better luck removing the ram head once the grille is off since you'll have a better angle. You can try to sit on the front bumper and pull the hood down over you and try to pop out those rivets. I would guess that's possible but I've never done it that way.

Old 04-26-2010 | 05:54 PM
Brado34
|
Veteran

man im really considering just drilling holes through the rivets so that i dont have to pop em out.. there a real pain in the ***..

as for the head.. i just dont know.. im not even sure what its held on by.

Old 04-26-2010 | 05:59 PM
rocket23
Champion

isn't that ram head a stick on?? if so you use fiching line and a torch too loosen up the glue and saw your way through. takes a while. If it;s riveted then yeah drill from behind. you should be able to just get the revit itself without hitting the grill.

Quick Reply: How do i Remove Grille and Paint front Ram Head