3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sooo, GM just plain sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005 | 04:51 PM
BLee85
Default Sooo, GM just plain sucks?

I know this forum is biased towards Dodge's, would be stupid to think otherwise, but at least it's not completely tunnel vision in here like in some other places I have visited. Anyways, some of you know I am in the market for some sort of AWD/4x4 to use upstate (NY) and can be used during the winters up there (lots of fun white stuff to slip around on). I was looking for lift kits and came across some BEAUTIFUL looking GMC trucks. However, it seems like the general consensus is that GM is the worst of the Big 3 when it comes to the trucks, people even admitting they are worse than Fords. What's the general consensus? My dad is a GM guy, bought my older brother a 00 Monte Carlo SS and that hasn't had a single problem yet (minus a button popping off and being sucked into a blackhole that formed in the floor). BTW, here's the picture that made me change my boxers....no matter what bias you have, you can't tell me this thing isn't gorgeous :

Old 05-08-2005 | 04:58 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: Sooo, GM just plain sucks?

Honestly, I think the suspension looks terrible and is not practical. That is what 8-10" of lift? Now a good 4-5" lift with some decent size tires, I'd agree with you. As far as reliability I think all 3 make a decent product. I've had bad luck with GM as a whole on 2 vehicles and will not buy GM again. I've had good luck with Ford in the past although I am beginning to wonder about my wife's Explorer. Haven't had trouble with my Dodge yet.

Old 05-08-2005 | 05:03 PM
hoobasta4
Rookie

Hey BL,
I have a 2000 Dakota that I bought 3 months ago and I'm already selling it. I might buy a 2005 Dodge Ram, Reg Cab, Short box with the hemi but I also might buy a Chevy/GMC. I'm more of a GM guy, but don't get me wrong, I like Dodge too. I absolutely HATE Ford tho! I personally dont' see how people say GM trucks are worse than Ford lol. Its unbelieveable how many Chevy's/GMC's you see. I work at a small engine shop & rental shop. We rent out a lot of contractor equipment (skidsteers, compactors, etc.). 19 out of 20 trucks that pull in are either Chevy or GMC and a lot of those are a mix between the 1500 & 2500 of course. You actually see A LOT of the 2500's. I see maybe 1 Ford out of 25, so that leaves 5 Dodges. I wrote in another post why I might go back to the GM side. My dad has a 99 GMC Suburban with 165,000 miles and has had the "usual" problems, brakes, etc. He's drove it to Canada 3 times (over by New York for hockey. We live in central WI). My bro has a 99 Silverado that has had no problems, my grandpa has owned GMC since he was a kid. He gets a new truck every 5 years because he has the money (he owns the small engine shop), and has no problems at all. Even under warranty he hasn't. My mom has a 2004 Impala. She had a 2000 but traded it for a newer one, no problems. My uncle & aunt have a 2004 Chevy Suburban Z71 and love it. They also have a 95 GMC Jimmy with 200,000 and no major problems either. They had a 99 Suburban like my dads and only had to replace a fuel pump at 120,000 miles. I had a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am with 50,000 miles and no problems except for battery corrosion (but that was the original battery). I only gave it to my bro because I bought a Dakota, but hate it already. Had to replace the rack & pinion, ball joints (thank god for the recall), 2 left tie rods, and that problem with the tie rod still consists. So I went to see what I could do about getting a 2005 Ram with the Hemi like I said and I could get it for 450/month and insurance would be another 150.. so 600/month really isn't that bad for a brand new truck, but I'm gonna see what the chevy guys can get for me.

Every company has their upsides and downsides, I just haven't seen many if any from GM, sorry to possibly switch over, but thats not set in stone, Yet...

Hooby

P.S. That GMC gave me the chills.. and I also had to change my boxers haha HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THAT TRUCK

Old 05-08-2005 | 06:18 PM
DonG
Veteran

Based upon my experience i would rank the top 3 in the following order for trucks.
1. Dodge
2. GM
3. Ford

I think the lift on the truck pictured looks silly, but no more silly than Dodges lifted that high. It's usually something kids do to look cool and impress others, but not very functional or reliable in the long term.

Old 05-08-2005 | 06:31 PM
BLee85

Well, it's in Cali, so yea....lifted trucks there are all show for the most part. Take note of the 20" wheels..... Despite that, I still think it looks good. There are more pix with more practical lifts that look just as good, that one was just the cleanest looking

Old 05-08-2005 | 10:23 PM
hoobasta4
Rookie

hey guys, of course that lift is not practical, but most lifts really aren't unless you are mudding, and thats something that you want to do, not have to, so that lift fits in with any other lift. Get what I mean? Almost every lift is for show or for mudding, you usually don't really need it. Anyway, I honestly have to rate the trucks this way:

1.GM
2.Dodge
3.Toyota
4.Ford
5.Nissan
6.Honda

Even tho I listed Ford above Nissan and Honda, I may even take those over a Ford. And some of those Toyotas don't look bad at all.

UPDATE: I went out and looked at trucks today, I can get a 1500 Chevy Silverado, Ext Cab, 5.3 V8, tow package, 4x4 (push button), power everything.. basically loaded, from the dealer here for 25,000. Now honestly, how can you beat that? The Dodge that I was looking at, Ram 1500, short box, reg cab, Hemi 4x4, for the same price? Honestly, I don't care if I have 345 hp from the hemi, what are you gonna be doing, racing? the 5.3 makes pretty decent power! not to mention, great looking truck. I also looked at a Colorado. LOADED, sunburst orange, quad cab 5 Cylinder putting out I think like 240 horse or more I think? For what I'd need it for, perfect.. loaed at 24,900

Now, which way do you think? Don't be swayed towards Dodge. Even tho I am towards GM, it doesn't mean thats why I'm leaning that way, I just see a much better "bang for the buck" from the chevy at the moment.

Hooby

Old 05-08-2005 | 10:57 PM
ross944
Veteran

We have had nothing but GM cars as long as I can remember. I guess im the black sheep of my family when it comes to cars.
[ul][*] We had an 87 burban diesel that was amazing to us until my mom let the oil leak and melted the motor.[*] Two '93 suburbans with the 5.7's that both went past 180k with no major engine/transmission problems ever.[*] '99 tahoe with 130k runnin great, no problems(and my sister is a crappy driver)[*] '00 escalade with 120k and goin strong[*] bro go an 04 avalanche and hes havin a blast with that.[*] my mom drives 1500 texas edition with the 5.3, hauls great and no problems what so ever
[/ul]

then i got the dodge haha....and love it ive put 7k on it myself so far.

Old 05-08-2005 | 10:58 PM
moparturd
Banned

Blee85. You just haven't been around long enough to see any of my posts.

GM Sucks. I'd rather walk than even ride in one of those POS. They are popular, but it looks like maybe people are becoming more aware of how bad they really are. Gm is doing well finacially. I F'ing love it.

Sorry if this offends.

Sorry about the typos.

Old 05-08-2005 | 10:59 PM
ross944
Veteran

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

Blee85. You just haven't been around long enough to see any of my posts.

GM Sucks. I'd rather walk than even ride in one of those POS. They are popular, but it lok like mabye people are becoming more aware of how bad they really are. Gm is doing well finacially. I F'ing love it.

Sorry if this offends.
i beg to differ, but ill let it slide

Old 05-08-2005 | 11:13 PM
moparturd
Banned

Oh yeah. I can appreciate the work whomever did to that truck.

I've had the fortune/misfortune of having a mechanic as a father who ran his own business. In all honesty, we saw more GM products than anything else. Yeah yeah, there's more on the road, but as a percentage of what he worked on, compared to the percentage of what make vehicles his customer base owned. GM was the least reliable. I always figured it was good job security for him though.

Bottomline is that there's good and bad everything. I've seen enough of the bad not drive it.

Quick Reply: Sooo, GM just plain sucks?