3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 Ram 1500 amp and sub with factory stereo, volume control issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 04:31 AM
Rookie1500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Ram 1500 amp and sub with factory stereo, volume control issue

So I am installing an audiobahn amp and sub in to my 1500, but i seem to have hit a brick wall. I am useing a high power - line output converter from the back of my stereo and connecting to my left and right rear speekers.
LR + DK GR/DK BL
LR - DK GR/OR
RR + GY/DK BL
RR - GY/OR
I am getting power and signal to my amp and sub, but I do not have control over the volume of my sub.
When the volume is set at 0 my sub is off, and when the volume is set at 1 my sub is at the volume set by the gain on my amp. When I increase the volume, the sub eventually gets drowned out by the factory speekers and the sub does not increase in volume.
So I spent half a day tring to figgure things out, and looking for information on fourms, and decided I needed to ask for help.

Has anyone encountered this issue before and found a fix for this?

Thanks Rookie

Old 05-01-2010, 12:08 PM
beecherr345
Professional

do you have the infinity system? if so then the wires behind the HU dont put out a signal readable by a LOC. you have to tap into the front door speakers as they have the low end you need.

if its not infinity, what kind of LOC did you use? is it adjustable? make sure you have good connections to both channels otherwise you only get half the signal you want.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Rookie1500
Rookie

I do have an infinity system. I am using a LOC made by Stinger Electronics, model # SALOC. It also has a level adjustment.

So, the LOC is picking up a signal that is going to the factory amp and the volume control is run threw the factory amp?
I think I am missing a piece of the puzzle, since i am getting good sound out of my sub. I just cant control the volume, so in my head the LOC is picking up a signal, but just not the correct one?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:05 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Rewire into the front door speaker output from the factory amp.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:23 PM
beecherr345
Professional

pull both you kick panels and tap into the left and right door speaker wires (you may have to pull the speakers from the doors to find the correct color, every diagram i found for an 06 was wrong) and tap into the wires there for the let and right channels. you wont believe the differance.

and yes the infinity system is screwy. ive been dealing with it for the past week. its a PITA. but i got mine to work great and thats how i tapped into mine.

if you only tap into one of the speakers you wont get as much wattage as you need for the LOC. its best to get both so its even.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Rookie1500
Rookie

Well i have no idea why that fixed it, but it did. Thanks everyone for the help!
My system sounds great, too bad it came as the cost of the gf being pissed off at me for spending our day on my truck

Old 11-05-2014, 03:42 PM
TheRECENDEZ1

Originally Posted by Rookie1500
Well i have no idea why that fixed it, but it did. Thanks everyone for the help!
My system sounds great, too bad it came as the cost of the gf being pissed off at me for spending our day on my truck
I am experiencing the same problem. How did you tap your RCA Inputs to the front speaker wires? Did you ran a wires through the rubber door grommet? or by the factory amplifier?

Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tapping into the speakers after the AMP will make the sub very very loud... and you'll have to turn your bass way way down....

For Pick-Ups I usually tap at the stereo first, and use a Line Output Converter (LOC) that is "adjustable" so that you can tune the "volume" you want going to the sub(s) and not drown out the speakers.

That's the best way that I've found... if my customer wanted more bass then I'd hook it up after the amp and they'd lose fader control for the sub, and it would pretty much either be on and mega loud... or pretty much off. so it all depends on your personal taste.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:38 PM
TheRECENDEZ1

Originally Posted by Izero
Tapping into the speakers after the AMP will make the sub very very loud... and you'll have to turn your bass way way down....

For Pick-Ups I usually tap at the stereo first, and use a Line Output Converter (LOC) that is "adjustable" so that you can tune the "volume" you want going to the sub(s) and not drown out the speakers.

That's the best way that I've found... if my customer wanted more bass then I'd hook it up after the amp and they'd lose fader control for the sub, and it would pretty much either be on and mega loud... or pretty much off. so it all depends on your personal taste.
Well I did tap at the stereo, using the TC-LOC2. This does have two ***** to adjust the gain:
LR + DK GR/DK BL
LR - DK GR/OR
RR + GY/DK BL
RR - GY/OR

But the problem is if I turn up the volume the sub will not increase or vice versa. The sub will remain at same volume. What do you think is the problem?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRECENDEZ1
Well I did tap at the stereo, using the TC-LOC2. This does have two ***** to adjust the gain:
LR + DK GR/DK BL
LR - DK GR/OR
RR + GY/DK BL
RR - GY/OR

But the problem is if I turn up the volume the sub will not increase or vice versa. The sub will remain at same volume. What do you think is the problem?
Do you have the Gain maxed out on the "TC-LOC2"?

What are your Amp Settings?

The issue might also be that you tapped the Rear Speakers... you should Tap the Front Speakers... the rear speakers in our trucks do not produce the bass like most sedans, the Front Speakers do.

Quick Reply: 2006 Ram 1500 amp and sub with factory stereo, volume control issue