3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shell or toneau?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 12:18 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 167 Likes on 153 Posts
Default shell or toneau?

My dad and I are wondering what we should get for our truck to put all his work stuff (he works as a hospital field tech- everything has to be 110% clean). He wants a shell for camping and such to have the room, but a toneau would be tons cheaper but not sure how water-tight they are. picture of truck is to the left (my avatar).

Also, on a side note, what's the redline on a HEMI? we just passed another dodge and a 18 wheeler with the engine screaming at 5800 RPM.

Old 05-09-2005, 01:06 AM
Hemi Dave
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: shell or toneau?

I have a Pace Edwards Roll Back Tonneau...the best on the Market at near $900. Even if you buy top of the line Tonneau you won't be totally dry. A shell might be your best bet>

Old 05-09-2005, 01:21 AM
DonG
Veteran

Leer 100XQ with BedRug stays bone dry

$1400 for cap
$259 shipped for BedRug

[IMG]local://upfiles/12354/C0840B36022D47358C9492B152FE8EA7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12354/BCB9720A313D4BDABB8987F61002B2BB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-09-2005, 10:06 AM
mill500
Veteran

A full cap or hard tonneau would probably work best for what you need. I've got a Truxedo roll up and like it because I can roll it up for hauling stuff, then put it back down. I haven't had any water that I can tell in the bed yet, but if it has to stay dry, and you don't plan on hauling anything big, the hard cover is probably best for you. As to redline, I don't remember without looking, but just check the tach. Where it turns red is the redline.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Avanti
Captain

For staying dry, an Undercover hard cap seems to be one option, no seams and comes over the bed rails. $600 and $58 shipping to a commercial address--last I looked.

Regarding redline, I don't recall seeing one marked on the truck tachs I looked at, at the dealer's (my hemi is still on order, so cannot look right now), but not to worry, it is electronically controlled and will limit you to whatever is programed. Typically, it is about 200 rpms over advertised redline and usually the 'puter selectively shuts off fuel. Others with Chrysler experience I'm sure will give brand specifics. It can be a real shock to hit the rev-limiter the first time when getting on your vehicle!

All the best.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:09 PM
magnethead
Legend

well if we go camping with the dodge and dont want to use the tent or if it's raining, we want be able to use the bed of the truck and our air-mattress to sleep in the bed rather than in the tent (also handy for our yearly expedition to TMS). Also, we want a tonnea with not-too-large windows that match the truck and one with side windows that flip all the way up so he can reach in and grab hings without opening he tailgate and rear window. But the tonneaus are lighter and cheaper but restrain space.

DonG's truck looks almost identical to ours, these dodges look good with shells. We're looking more toward something designed like the 100XL with flip-up side windows that have T handles on them..

Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 PM
gsxr150
Rookie

I have the Access Roll-up cover, and I would NEVER switch. I can't belive how easy it is to use and how nice it looks. http://www.accesscover.com/Products/Access.asp

Old 05-09-2005, 09:13 PM
magnethead
Legend

I just looked up the redline, the HEMI for the 300C has a redline of 5800..right where the truck shifted.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:22 PM
rakram
Rookie

I use the Truxedo low profile which is a soft cover; rolls up and stays flexible in cold weather. I freguently put items in the bed that are higher than the rails. I run the truck thru the car wash and will only get a very little water inside when the bed is covered. I plan to install a gate gasket which I think will reduce to nil any water that gets in. However, don't forget the weep holes for drainage that are in the bottom seam at the front of the bed at the sides. If you want something water tight, you will have to seal these.

Your post indicates the need to keep items clean which also suggests some lockdown security might be needed. A soft cover will not do that for you even with a tailgate lock. That is why I went with the QC. Inside the cab is more secure that almost any box cover. Good Luck

Old 05-09-2005, 09:36 PM
magnethead
Legend

well we also has a rhino in the bed that the dealer threw in for like $300. So things sliding around shouldn't be a problem, and theft isn't an issue, my dad's company would cover anything lost as long as proof of lockage was given one way or another (ie screwdriver marks in lock, drilled out lock, etc). And the ladder and micro-forklift have the company name enscribed in them.

Quick Reply: shell or toneau?