3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Condensor fan not coming on

Old 08-09-2015, 05:20 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the electrical connections to the motor ok?
Not corroded or damaged?
The contacts in the conector must obviously be sound.
Wiggle the connector and wiring and see if you can start or stop the condenser fan, which would indicate poor contacts or open circuit cabling.
Al.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:43 AM
sgarber13

We did check that, but we will check again. The compressor is short cycling also.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:43 AM
abarmby
Champion

The compressor will short cycle if the ac condenser fan isn't running.
At this point if your new fan isn't running and you are sure there's no problems with the electrical connections, om afraid it's a dealer/ac shop Visit.
Al.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:10 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

was there any front end damage to your truck at one time?

Old 08-10-2015, 05:29 PM
dodgesonly

This may not work in your case, as the symptoms are not quite the same, as you (the OP) stated when you tapped on the AC condenser fan motor, then the fan sputtered to life. But in my own condenser fan troubles recently (2000 Dakota Sport), my problem was the low pressure cut off switch located on the drier bottle. May be located differently on your truck. I put a jumper wire on the plug in, bypassing that switch, and now the condenser fan operates normally. May not be a fix for your current problem, but I thought I mention it just in case it helped.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:00 AM
Wrecker97

Originally Posted by abarmby
Yes there is. Give the AC condenser fan a sharp tap with a small hammer, with the AC set to on and the engine obviously running.
If it starts to spin, it's the fan.
Do that or, spin the fan by hand to give it a "kick on". It should spin, but will have very little torque behind it.
Usually, the brushes in the motor wear out.
I rebuilt this motor in my truck and she's been great, for about two years now.
I think there's usually a few new ones on e-bay for sale.
Don't run the AC with this fan not working. High pressure will build up to high temps due to not being cooled. It could permanently damage your AC system.
Al.
So I just replaced my entire AC condenser fan and Motor everything except the coil how will I know I fixed the problem without code reading will it turn off by itself?

Old 09-06-2016, 02:01 AM
Wrecker97

Originally Posted by Wrecker97
So I just replaced my entire AC condenser fan and Motor everything except the coil how will I know I fixed the problem without code reading will it turn off by itself? 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 v8
I really need to know

Old 06-01-2018, 09:01 PM
Rocky wyatt

Originally Posted by abarmby
Yes there is. Give the AC condenser fan a sharp tap with a small hammer, with the AC set to on and the engine obviously running.
If it starts to spin, it's the fan.
Do that or, spin the fan by hand to give it a "kick on". It should spin, but will have very little torque behind it.
Usually, the brushes in the motor wear out.
I rebuilt this motor in my truck and she's been great, for about two years now.
I think there's usually a few new ones on e-bay for sale.
Don't run the AC with this fan not working. High pressure will build up to high temps due to not being cooled. It could permanently damage your AC system.
Al.
Thanks Al, you just saved me from a large bill at the stealership...I just could not figure this fan out...but with a little love tap from my trusted hammer the fan seen the light...I also will be getting a replacement...thank you for sharing your knowledge on this matter, I appreciate all of you that contribute to this forum!

Old 07-17-2019, 06:45 PM
Stephen Tubbs
Default I replaced fan assembly. Now condenser fan runs when I turn on a/c but pump won't kic

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Al. Nice tip on kick starting the fan. I would just hot wire mine to the battery to check it.....LOL
kicon

Old 07-25-2019, 11:34 AM
theuscfan04
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my fan a couple of weeks ago and it fixed my problem. Fan was $30 from Autozone and about a 45 min job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC Condensor fan not coming on