3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Issues Issues Issues...RPM Bounce at Hwy speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
mkj03dodgeram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues Issues Issues...RPM Bounce at Hwy speeds.

I'm having a couple of issues w/ my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7litre ..any help is MUCH appreciated!

1) RPM bounce at Hwy speeds of 60-70mph. The RPMs will bounce back and forth between 1800-2000 rpms off and on. You can see it on the tach and also hear the slight engine rev.

2) It has started to stall at low speeds or when your stopping for speedbumps, idling, etc. It starts bogging out and then stalls all together.

3) I don't know if it has anything to do with the above but the a/c is only blowing cold when you are continously driving. When stopped at lights or parked the a/c will not blow cold at all.

I have no warning lights.
Open for ideas!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Last edited by mkj03dodgeram; 05-06-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 AM
abarmby
Champion

AC problem first of all.
Usually the AC not blowing cold at a stop characteristcally means, that the AC condenser fan isn't running.
Check to see if the fan on the rear of the small radiator on the drivers side of the truck is spinning effectively, when the AC is switched on.
The fan must be spinning and pulling air effectively through this radiator, to cool the AC system.
If the fans not running, check the AC fan fuse first. If ok, give the fan motor a sharp tap with either a small hammer, or the butt end of a large screwdriver.
If the fan then struggles and spins up.....it's the fan motor itself and is usually the motors internal brushes worn out.

The surging and stalling could be two things.
Do a search on Throttle body clean.
Check your throttle body for dirt.
Also, your throttle body could be shot.
An 03 Hemi doesn't have an EGR (I'm assuming it is a Hemi? Post up a signature of your vehicle for better responses to your questions please) so that's not your problem.
When was your last tune up done....plugs filters fluids etc?
Hope this all helps?
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 05-06-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:43 PM
nateroach
Veteran

the surging at hwy speeds sounds like your torque converter locking and unlocking, as far as everything else... I'm with Al

nateroach

Old 05-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

he clearly stated above its a 4.7L but anyways i have no clue what that would be caused from.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:32 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I agree with AL on the AC.

As far as the bogging and idle jump, you could also check the throttle position sensor. It may be going bad.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:37 PM
abarmby
Champion

Yep.....sorry missed the 4.7 thing.
I was trying to think of that TBS name cwboyjohnny24.
That's the other thing to check.
Al.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:44 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

TB or spark plugs on the stalling, i once had a toyota that stalled.. changed the plugs and wires and it stopped, as for the RPMS changing, it could be very well ur alternator is going bad, that also happened to my in my jeep, it just started doing it and got worse as it progressed. Changed it and it fixed it. hope this helps dude

Old 05-06-2010, 05:15 PM
meen green machine
Professional

When me dad use to own my truck i had noticed the Rpms jumping like described and after a while it went a way or egleast i havent noticed them. i dont think it could be related but about 3 months after replacing the condensor fan in my truck the rpm jumps weren there. It just seems odd that they could be related at all

Quick Reply: Issues Issues Issues...RPM Bounce at Hwy speeds.