3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ground Force Drop Shakles

Old 05-09-2010, 01:14 PM
hontzy87
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground Force Drop Shakles

So i bought the shakles a few months back and with my job being swing shift i rarely find time to do anything to my truck. Finally decided to give them a shot the other day and low and behold, the bolts are rusted beyond belief (common problem anyways). So since then, i've been soaking then in some pb every few days. I've got a set of bolts and nuts coming from LMC Truck ($55!!!!!!!) that will take place of these rusted bad boys since i see me taking a cut off wheel to them. Now, i have some questions before i start doing this again.

1. Do i really need to remove the shock like it states in the directions??? Seems this can't be putting that much pressure on the *** end. Would be easy to remove obviously but just more bolts i'd have to cut/buy. Trying to avoid that.

2. The top of the shakle (the one that connects to the frame) looks like it's going to be the biggest pain. The bolt seems to be like housed inside this tiny box welded to the frame with only enough room to toss a wrench in. Am i correct saying the nut inside the box is welded down so that all i should need to do is back the bolt off?? Or is it going to be that much of a biotch to torq this in that tight space. If the bolt head snaps i'm SOL and have bigger fish to fry then.

On a good note, i purchased Toyo Proxes ST 305/45/22 for my SRT-10 rims. I got them mounted last week and am pretty stoked to get them on the truck but holding off till my truck sits nice and level with the 2" shakles. Alright, thats enough typing haha. Anyone can lmk some answers i'd appreciate it.

Hontz

Old 05-09-2010, 01:26 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just letting u know u wont get 2'' from the ground force shackles unless u remove the overload...

Old 05-09-2010, 01:26 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess on the shocks is no, you don't have to disconnect the bottoms. As for the top hanger bolt, I believed I double wrench a box end on it and broke it loose. To get level on a 2wd you also remove the O/L spring. Post some pictures when you get it done.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:11 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

i never took my shocks loose i just jacked the frame up and then the axle til there was no pressure on the shackles removed them and replaced them...now if you rmove the overload leaf youll have a good lil job on your hands youll have to take the shocks bottom bolt loose and the wheels off and the leaf pack loose...you will how ever only get a 1.5" drop with 2" shackles i know its decieving but thats the way it is....good luck post pics.....

Old 05-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

This is a good time to buy some drop 2 shocks. The stock shocks loose travel room when lowering shackles are put on.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 PM
hontzy87
Professional

Yeah the overload spring might go depending on the time. I know i would like the complete 2". I'll also look into some shocks since you mentioned it Got_Hemi44. Thanks guys, pictures will be posted when i get this project rolling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ground Force Drop Shakles