3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need a new RAM

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:10 AM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was against a van,the small displacement tundra and the raptor I believe. Real competition. Lol. Give it a year I bet these engines will run hard.

Besides its the new super duty did not make the release date for the competition if it were ram vs ford Im willing to bet the dodge would get a taint whipping. Nicer suspension, +50 hp and Tq over the cummins, higher tow rating, way nicer interior, new technology. IMO the new duties look like winners.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:30 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

imo, you dont know what your talking about, tell me, how much hp and torque does a 2010 cummins get? please, if you actually know the numbers great, but I doubt you do. Ill bet you get on google and search it, but Ill tell you now, 650 lbs/ft torque, I dont know what else I would need than that? Anyone here think theirs anything they will be hauling that that cant handle? A house? nah, it could probably pull a house too, and what do you know about the suspension as well? Just saying... lol.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:34 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Another thing to take into account, none of the big name companies are able to find any big tuner improvements to the new ford diesel, they still have big power gains with the cummins.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:48 AM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Yeah and 350 hp out of the 6.7. I know. Dad was going to buy one so we went and had a good look through. The Dodge is still running the baby short upper and lower arms much like it is on my truck were as the ford is still running a single radius arm setup as they have since 05. From my experience the radius arm makes more sense as it is mounted parallel to the frame there for when the axle cycle up and down this motion is not transfered as much into up and down motion into the rest of the truck. Both systems are durable don't get me wrong but the double radius arms on the Ram leave the arms at a steeper angle ( a proplem worsened if you run a level) which results in a rougher ride. Do I know as much as an engineer? No. But I have a basic knowledge of the suspension and the pro's and cons of each. Sorry if I am coming off untra anti Dodge I will admit they are okay trucks but I speak my mind and in my opinion for what I will use my truck for and how I want my truck to look/sound the Ford wins and who know maybe critics and sales will say similar.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:37 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 2500 hemi will haul your trailer just fine, my 06 2500 is a reg cab 6sp, 373 LTD slip and I don't have any problems moving 8,000 lbs, I'm not quick and mpg is not worth talking abought, forthe odd occasion I have to move a heavy trailer, hemi is just fine.

Over the long haul, you will get back your investment if you whent to a CTD, if your trailer is is used for less than a month out of 12, a 410 ltd slip and hemi is more practical, empty, a CTD 6.7 and the hemi are nearly identical in mileage.

AS for Ford, I owned a lot of thier trucks before my dodge, last good navstar engine was the 7.3, Fords new kick at the cat may be improved, but I will never give Ford my money, ever, never again, how ever, a smart guy drives all the brands, gets the best bang for the buck and takes a gamble.

( betwean you and me CTD )

Old 05-13-2010, 01:45 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i was givin any truck it would be the ford but for the OP. i would not get the hemi, my uncle used to have a 1500 megacab with the hemi (same as 2500) and it was a dog. Its just too big of truck for a hemi. I also towed a 25ft show trailer with it, weighed probably 4-6k pounds and it towed it fine stability wise but the power just wasn't there. going up hills the truck was constantly shifting and couldn't find the power range, it also liked to rev at 3500 rpms towing up hill which lead to 3mpg at 45mph. sure it can tow it but no one likes the feeling of being under powered, no hook that same trailer up to ANY diesel and itll pull up the hill doing 70mph and still get 15mpg. Nothing beats a diesel PERIOD.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:21 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran

Ford is a joke i work next to a ford dealership and have lunch with the guys over there all the time and they say the 6.0l's are junk the 6.4's are even bigger junk and the 5.4's suck too they say since the 6.4 came out they have replaced over 35% or more of them sold by that dealership..at 20g's a pop...have fun with your new ford they always get them right on the first year they come out(6.0L major injector and headgasket problems)...(6.4's engine's catching fire)...p.s. none of them drive ford's haha

Old 05-13-2010, 03:14 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker

well i own a 7.3. Bought it last year the previous owner was so meticulous that the thing looks like a 2007. only problem with the 7.3 is the CPS sensor. If i had the money to run a DP tuner the thing will smoke any STOCK new truck and still get 20 mpg. And the 6.0 and 6.4 were built by international and the new 6.7 is built by FORD so only time will tell if ford did their homework. So don't be surprised if the new ford out pulls all the other diesels in 2011. Now im not on any side, I would gladly drive a dodge, chevy, ford, toyota, im just saying each truck has its problems and there are fixes to them and in my eyes all these trucks are the same. Any diesel you buy will tow any trailer you want to. Just pick the best looking truck in your opinion.