3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bilstien 5100 install!! need assistance!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:53 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Bilstien 5100 install!! need assistance!!

My first strut job, I unbolted the three bolts on the top coil tower I still have the big mothers at the bottom to do. Question, do I un bolt the upper shock nut after I remove the whole assembly? And do I compress the spring first or does it matter? I think thats it for now I'm on line all night tonight I'll get the tools for the lower bolts tomarrow. btw. So i'm kinda in limbo right now.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

You really need to pull the strut out of the truck first, then compress the spring, then unbolt the top retaining nut which releases the top bracket.

If you release the retaining nut before compressing the spring----you may be wearing the spring.

I haven't done struts on one of our trucks, you may be way ahead having a shop change them over.

I'm sure you can rent a spring compressor also-----just be very careful---there's a lot of stored energy in one of those springs

I did the rear struts on my wife's car a couple of weeks ago, but I have a spring compressor and all went well.

Good luck!!!!

Old 05-15-2010, 05:06 AM
rocket23
Champion

Something tells me the bottom bolt is gonna be a biotch to loosen. guess I gotta go old school , I have no impact gun. I hope my dad's tools can handle the job?

Old 05-15-2010, 03:09 PM
rocket23
Champion

Anybody who can do this mod in a frigging driveway is a better man than me. wtf. pita strut . Time too pay the man, you gotta b e nuts to do this in the driveway.
I wasn't about to screw with the upper control arm ball joint.I would have too disconnect that to get the effer out. . So screw it . no advice needee now lol.

Quick Reply: Bilstien 5100 install!! need assistance!!