3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heavy towing for some light yard work

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Bent
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

prolly backs up while looking over his shoulder too.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Duroc
Professional

Originally Posted by Bent
prolly backs up while looking over his shoulder too.
I find I still do that with my boat sometimes even though the results are better when I just use the mirrors.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Duroc
I find I still do that with my boat sometimes even though the results are better when I just use the mirrors.
I use the mirrors mostly but I catch myself doin the over the shoulder thing alot too, I've never had an issue with doin it like that. I gave up backing a trailer with mine though, my *** is too short and I can't see my little tiny lawnmower trailer behind my truck. I can back it just fine with my ol' Furd though, I guess the bed doesn't sit up as high or something idk.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Bent
Veteran

problem with using the rear window/shoulder trick is it's really easy to lose sight of where the side of your truck is - if you have to correct from a jack-knife, you might swing the front of your truck over and into something. If you are consciously looking at either side mirror then it's a lot less likely that that can happen. Also it doesn't work well for a big trailer you can't see over the top of.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:13 PM
evomega08
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yep, it's all about getting the weight on a trailer centered right over the axle(s) for it to handle properly and produce less tongue weight on the truck. Too many times you see a trailer like that loaded with the weight all the way to the front as far as it will go.
Whoever loaded that skid loader on that trailer knew what the hell they were doing...
Thanks Hammer I loaded it up myself, made sure it was done right cause I was nervous about all that weight. I didnt know what the factory hitch was rated at.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:30 PM
RamGentry13
Veteran

bad ***, use the hell outa that truck

Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 PM
evomega08
Veteran

Originally Posted by RamGentry13
bad ***, use the hell outa that truck
Hell yeah! It gets used, I have an enclosed trailer for work, boat for play, and it is my work truck so there is always something in it.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 AM
bamataco
Veteran

Originally Posted by Shiloh 24
Sweet, good job for whoever loaded the trailer like Hammer said. I got a neighbor who runs a landscaping business, he has an 18ft flatbed trailer that he hails a tractor with a bucket on. Dumbass loads the tractor all the way to the front and piles all the light crap over the axles, better yet when he spent 45 minutes last night trying to back the trailer into his driveway lol. It's like an 03 or 04 Ford with the V10 Triton in it, it's got a blowmaster on it and my god was that an annoying 45 minutes. Ever 30 seconds or so I heard him pull forward and stop and back it up again rofl
Dam you would think that a guy who pulls a trailer on a regular basis like that would be much better at backing it up.

Quick Reply: heavy towing for some light yard work