3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wierd Sound from Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 03:46 AM
aappleby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Sound from Rear End

I have a 02 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with a 4.7 V8. When ever I go around corners slowly, I get a weird noise comming from the rear end. Its kind of a cross between a wineing and squeaking sound(kind of hard to describe). I'm just curious if anyone else has come across this sound. I've been told to check the rear end fluid and to add some posi additive, and I've also been told that since the rear end is a limited slip diff, that its just the axles sliding back and forth and the rotors could be rubbing since because of the movement. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.
Thanks!

Old 05-11-2005, 10:39 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wierd Sound from Rear End

If it was the limited slip it would make a chattering sound most likely. Are you sure it's not the brake pads rubbing the rotors?

Old 05-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Wideglide2K

I had the same thing happen on my 96 1500 with limited slip diff. Have the dealer inspect the rear end. I waited to long and it cost me $1500.00 to replace everything.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Boulee
Record Breaker

my co workers truck had this happen. I did it for a month or so then while driving the spedo and tach stopped working and the check engine light came on. something went wron with his limited slip rear end so the dealer replaced the whole rear axel.

Quick Reply: Wierd Sound from Rear End