3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best repair manual??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 PM
spock-mckoy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best repair manual??

Can anyone suggest the best repair manual, really thorough book needed to repair rear end in 2002 Ram 2500/4wd/5.9 l gas/posi. I know I need a pinion seal at least, perhaps bearings on axles? I changed the fluid and installed new gasket. It stopped the leak around the pumpkin, but pinion leaking. The gears still look crisp/no teeth missing. There is a low grade grinding sound and the magnet had a grey slurry stuck to it. I'm guessing very slow wearing of some part mixing with oil to create grey slurry. Why I'm thinking it is a bearing. I hope to do this in my driveway if possible? Has anyone done this work on their ride in the driveway? I will need to purchase a bearing/seal pullers at least. Other than that, I do have a pretty well stocked tool set. Any suggestions? A mechanic told me the rear end is 'shot' and it will cost me $2700 to fix??? It still drives and has been making this sound for some months now. I've been too busy to take it out of service. He said there is play in the pinion. I think it always has because when I put it into gear, it often 'clangs' from day one when I bought it new in 2002. Especially starting out on a hill gives the biggest 'clang' ;>

Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Huntjunkie41
Professional

Fleabay has a bunch of the factory service manuals on there from $10 - $100. The factory manuals are the most complete ive ever used. Make sure you don`t get the Body service manual. You need the chasis manual.

Last edited by Huntjunkie41; 06-01-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 PM
spock-mckoy
Amateur
Default thanks...

I'll look into fleabay . com? never heard of them, but I'll look into it. Thanx again.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Huntjunkie41
Professional

Spock-Mcoy:

To correct my sarcasm it is actually Ebay. Everyone just calls it Fleabay. Like a Fleamarket on line. If you have not used Ebay before ask someone you know who has to get you started. Just do a search for Dodge Ram Service manual and you will see many users selling them.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:11 AM
spock-mckoy
Amateur
Smile fleabay

Hi, I don't mind sarcastic remarks....there is a fleabaybargain . com site... I wasn't sure which you meant... thanx!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Huntjunkie41
Professional

I did not know that! I never thought to ping Fleabay.

Thanks Spock-Mcoy.

Quick Reply: Best repair manual??