3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

possible problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:20 PM
meen green machine
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible problem

ok so over the past few months my truck has been drinking coolant. every week or two ill open the hood and the level wil be about two inches below what it was. today i opened it it was about 3 inches. ive just been adding water to bring it back up. ut today i picked up some anti freeze. u can see where coolant somehow came out of the cap and sprayed. any ideas? its not running hot

Old 05-31-2010, 12:33 AM
AWE Daniel
Veteran

Where are you low at? Are you adding to the reservoir? Cuz if you add too much it'll spit it right back out. Put a cardboard box under your truck to see if your leaking somewhere.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:35 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If it isnt leaking then it is using. If it is using then that means cracked heads or bad head gasket. If it is blowing back then is usually means over heating. Do you ever hear it boiling inside after you just the engine off?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:31 AM
meen green machine
Professional

I havent seen any leaking issues and like i said i watch my guages pretty good and have not seen it over heating or heard boiling. ill try using the cardboard and see what i find. and its not like alot sprayed from the top but enough to see it on top of the reservoir. and ive only been filling to the cold fill line. if its heads or head gasket bye bye truck. shouldnt i be getting other symptoms from the heads or head gasket being gone

Old 05-31-2010, 10:38 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weed i sometimes have a similar problem, but im not burning any coolant. I do hear it boiling on occassion after I shut the truck off. Temp never gets hot either. This an issue that needs addressed?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:54 AM
abarmby
Champion

Are you sure it's the coolant boiling after you switch off AF_HEMI?
The reason I ask is if you've been running your AC, you can here the high/low side pressures equalising which sounds like boiling coolant.
Just a thought.
Also, these radiators do have a problem with the plastic side header tanks splitting.
It took an age for me to localise a tiny split in one, causing some coolant loss on my 03 Hemi a while back.
Al.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:26 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by abarmby
Also, these radiators do have a problem with the plastic side header tanks splitting.
It took an age for me to localise a tiny split in one, causing some coolant loss on my 03 Hemi a while back.
Al.
I found the same issue on mine.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:31 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a new radiator. Pretty sure its not cracked. Besides I'm not losing any coolant. And no my AC wasn't running. It was definitely coolant

Old 05-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

my coolant overflow bottle leaks at the cap, so does my neighbors 2005. My buddy has an 06 and it has a different style coolant reservoir that doesnt leak. Maybe it was an early 3rd gen defect? I just recently had to add about 1/4 gal to mine.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:38 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Are you makihng sure the mixture of coolant to water is correct?

Quick Reply: possible problem