3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heating problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 12:50 AM
nozmadd0x
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heating problem

Ok so its summer now so it really isnt a big deal but it could be bigger than I think. So over the winter the only time I would get heat was when I was on the gas. When I stopped at a light it was nothing but cold air. I figured it was just a broken thermostat but never had time to take a look (I know I'm an idiot). This went on all winter then the other day I was driving and looked down at the engine temp and it was in the red. Pulled over and let it cool them babied it home. Popped the hood and looked at the resevior and it appeared to be empty so I let it cool and it still seemed empty. I ended up putting a gallon and a half of half and half anti-freeze and water and i had no problem with over heating after that. Could this be the end of my problems? Air works great and heat seems to be working. Someone told me to check the thermostat, possibly flush the system, and if that doesn't work it could be some door in the dash that is not working properly and isn't switching from cold to hot, I dont know lol. But if that is it it will cost me like $400 for parts and labor because they would have to tear apart the dash to get to said door. Any help would be great.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:50 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you do some searching, a lot of 4.7s have over heating issues and most caused my bad head gaskets or cracked heads. You know you over heated because you were 1.5 gal low on coolant but the Q is there did the coolant go? A cracked or warped head will allow coolant into the combustion chamber and get burned and expelled out the tail pipe

Old 05-31-2010, 01:56 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just keep an eye on the coolant level. If you have to keep adding it and its not leaking, you've got a bad head gasket or cracked heads. That's worst case scenario

Old 05-31-2010, 08:32 PM
nozmadd0x
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea my big question was where did all the coolant go because it basically set for 2 weeks in a parking lot then on a friday I would drive 2 hours home on the freeway then sunday 2 hours back to school. So would a bad gasket or cracked head also cause my heating problem?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:51 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes a bad gasket or head would cause over heating and coolant loss. Try doing compression checks on the cylinders and record each number and compare.

After that I would watch my coolant level daily and temp gauge and compare. After that it is time to break down the engine

Quick Reply: Heating problem