3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

APM Hoods

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 PM
mptoad
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APM Hoods

Anyone ever had expierances with APM in regards to Ram Air hoods?

They have a few hoods desgins that I like. But more importantly they also make them fully functional and have the option of buying the ram air intake to match the hood at the same time. They are the only ones in my searching that offered this for the 4.7.

Any comments for or against APM products or company?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:42 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

never heard of them .. but i know keystone restyling has the kit for the 4.7 to go with the "goodhoods" they make..

i only saw one design on the apm website do they have more than one for the rams?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:56 PM
mptoad
Rookie

I had looked at keystone, however they dont make one for 2007. At least the site doesnt list it...

also, is it really a "true" ram air hood if it just redirects air to the original air box or a seperate CAI? What I always thought of as a "true" ram air would be something that feeds directly from the hood into a sealed air box with filter, then into the engine. This way avoiding any chance of getting warmer air from the engine compartment. Also I would think that the much shorter distance the air is travelling before entering the engine would offer some sort of benifit.

Although the good hoods design is going to undoubtly provide cooler air, its still going to be a mix of the outside air and engine compartent air. Also, it means the air is having to flow over a much longer distance. From the hood across the engine bay to the stock air intake location... in through the intake, then back across the engine bay to get to the engine...

Old 06-03-2010, 11:07 PM
nim81
Record Breaker

you are correct.. i didnt like the thought of that either and made my own ram air "sealed box"

Name:  img203.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  73.9 KB

Old 06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
mptoad
Rookie

wow! nice... dont know that I am quite that inclined though...

what did u use to build the top of that box up? is that the stock box underneith that? If it is, did you plug the original opening on the bottom?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 PM
nim81
Record Breaker

ya stock box, plugged up everything real nice, no leaks. cut a hole in the top of the stock box, and used a vinyl exterior dryer vent . fits the hood hole perfect . inside i took pvc pipe and attached it to the dryer vent and threw a cone filter on it.

the paint is chipping off cause its plastic and i didnt use plastic paint when i painted it

Old 06-04-2010, 01:07 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Hey nim, how does that work with the filter... because the filter now is below and designed to pull air in from the bottom... and with that setup you have basically bypassed the stock filter?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:28 AM
mptoad
Rookie

Originally Posted by nim81
inside i took pvc pipe and attached it to the dryer vent and threw a cone filter on it.
I may be wrong but it sounds like he went with a setup similar to this...

only he replaced the intake tube from the box to the TB with the PVC pipe and put the cone on the pipe inside the box.....

Not sure how it would work if you put the filter on the other side... I had thought about doing it the other way, but I think there would have to be enough force in the air coming in through the hood to push itself through the filter. But then again, if the box is good and sealed, the engine should have enough pull to suck the air through the filter into the box. I suppose if it can pull it through the filter one way, it can pull it through the opposite way right?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

I missed that part of what nim said Now I feel like a dufus... lol. sorry nim!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:38 AM
nim81
Record Breaker

here is a super lame graphic i made explaing the function on my home brew
i cant even draw with a computer program ... tisk tisk...

Name:  bitmat.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  43.5 KB

Quick Reply: APM Hoods