3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP :) Dodge wont turn over, red light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010 | 10:36 AM
boyd98
|
Veteran
Default HELP :) Dodge wont turn over, red light flashing

What a crappy night fellas -

so the 05 2wd Ram with 60+k miles decided just to die while driving / coming to a stop.

red light flashing even with the key out, dome lights flashing -

Anyone have this before, im hoping its just the battery and not an electrical issue?

I disconnect and reconnected the battery, same thing, thinking of taking it out and going to get it tested / new one.

Can a bad battery test good? If the battery test comes back healthy, still buy a new battery?

--------------

On top of that when the wrecker picked it up, i noticed i had a nail in my passenger front tire - hissing, and flat this morning when it rains it pours

Any help on what you think the electrical / red flashing indicates would be greatly appreciated -

Thx,

Boyd

Old 06-09-2010 | 10:59 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Battery is dead. Swap it out and all will be good

Old 06-09-2010 | 03:42 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

^^^^ 2x

Old 06-09-2010 | 03:59 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

yes the batterys dead. if the red light came on, the battery is toast. charging it wont help. when the red light comes on it means the battery has gone down to less than 5% which isnt enough to charge. dont ask me how i know...

once you do install the new battery, disconnect the negative battery cable and test the amp draw with an ohmmeter. set it to 10A, touch one probe to the battery cable and one probe to the negative terminal. once its hooked up, let the truck sit for 20 minutes to make sure it goes to sleep. opening any doors or messing with anything electrical at all will wake it up. make sure its asleep and test it. if there is anything higher than .1 showing, you've got a leak somewhere. start pulling fuses until you find a fuse that when pulled, drops the draw down below .1. your draw is somewhere in that circuit

Old 06-09-2010 | 07:52 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
yes the batterys dead. if the red light came on, the battery is toast. charging it wont help. when the red light comes on it means the battery has gone down to less than 5% which isnt enough to charge. dont ask me how i know...

once you do install the new battery, disconnect the negative battery cable and test the amp draw with an ohmmeter. set it to 10A, touch one probe to the battery cable and one probe to the negative terminal. once its hooked up, let the truck sit for 20 minutes to make sure it goes to sleep. opening any doors or messing with anything electrical at all will wake it up. make sure its asleep and test it. if there is anything higher than .1 showing, you've got a leak somewhere. start pulling fuses until you find a fuse that when pulled, drops the draw down below .1. your draw is somewhere in that circuit
That should be in DIY thread if it's not already.

Old 06-09-2010 | 10:02 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
That 5% part is not true actually unless if they changed it after 2003. When I first got my truck that light was on, and we hooked it up to a jumper pack and it started right up. Just that the voltage is too low or if it notices too much resistance at the battery cables.

Old 06-09-2010 | 10:39 PM
nim81
Record Breaker

in the words of metallica, "BATTERY"

Old 06-10-2010 | 10:00 AM
boyd98
|
Veteran

Rock on - it was the battery -

gotz a new one, fired right up

Old 06-10-2010 | 11:41 AM
RamGentry13
Veteran

good to hear man

Old 06-11-2010 | 02:00 AM
freestyledude
Captain

Thats what happened to my truck a couple weeks ago but I thought it was hydrolock... Damn I'll be happy if a battery gets it to turn over lol

Quick Reply: HELP :) Dodge wont turn over, red light flashing