3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Dodge Sport fix it up or get rid of it advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Ramsportman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Sport fix it up or get rid of it advice?

Hi all..long time lurker just joined. I wanted to get some advice on what I should do about my 02 Sport 1500. First let me give you the details:

1. Just rolled 60k miles. Runs great, never a engine/transmission issue.
2. It's payed for.
3. Has some mechanical issues: Makeing an awful squeaking noise when turning the wheel or going over a bump. I've been told it needs bushsing, possibly. I have inspected the powersteering pump etc..all looks well there. There are two errors related to vacum hoses from what the computer diagnostics say, and that's why the Check Engine Light is on. It also needs new exhaust.
4. Body is split into good shape for the cab and underbody, but very poor for the box. The upstate NY winters, even though it's been garaged, have simply started onthe box, especially around the wheel wells and tailgate. Also the front bumper cover piece is cracked around the foglight and the rear bumper is dented. You'll see all this in the pics.

Now..here is my dilema. I like the truck, like that it's payed for..etc. It's very reliable mechanically, and I can't complain, however i'm kinda going back and forth as to whether it's worth putting money into. I have a decision to make. Ultimately, if I keep it, i'd like to get at least 3 additional years as you can see I don't put any miles on it..so..i'm a little pissed that it's int he condition it's in even though i've always taken care of it both mechanically and cleanliness.

1. Bring it into the shop and get all mechanical issues resolved.
2. Sell it.

or

1. Bring it into the shop, get all mechanical issues resolved.
2. Replace exahaust with dual catback system.
3. Replace tailgate, rear bumper, front bumper cover, address the rust on the wheel wells, and place fender flares over that area.
4. Paint the box, and touch up the cab.
5. Get new Tires/Rims for Winter, only use stock for Spring/Summer.

I have about $3500 to put into all of it so i'll be stretching the budget. I would really like to avoid another car payment but if it's not worth it..then i'll bite the bullet.

PICS:

Last edited by Ramsportman; 06-26-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:35 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even if you fix it, you're not gonna get much for it. $8000 tops. Since its already paid off, and runs great, i'd put some money into fixing it until you're content with it and keep it. No sense in creating debt for yourself by getting a new vehicle when you've got a perfectly good, reliable truck.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:07 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I agree completely with AF. The biggest factor is that it's paid off. That would seal the deal for me. If mechanically it runs well but just looks like chit why the hell would you get rid of it. Put some money into the mechanical side of it, then work on the body as you get the money. No reason to cause yourself debt if you like the truck. That's all fixable stuff you're talking and with only 60k miles you still got a lot of life to go with the truck.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Matt99
Champion

You can usually find boxes from fleet vehicles and stuff, especially if you have a white truck, and it should only cost around 400 to get painted if its not

Id fix it up...hell, you could throw a 06 conversion on it and be driving a new looking truck

Old 06-11-2010, 04:26 PM
jroy
Professional

Looking on craigslist there are two beds for sale in my area. Even if there aren't any listed in your area keep checking, one will pop up eventually. Totally do able for $3500, unless your looking for a top of the line paint job.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Marx
Record Breaker

you could get a new box from the wrecker for around $500

Old 06-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Ramsportman

Thanks for all your input fellas...I would like to get a new box..just not sure where to get one. I live in upstate, NY like close to Adirandaks..so..it will be challenging..especially Craigslist.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Ramsportman

Well took all the advice and just got the mechanical issues resolved.

1. New TieRods
2. New Balljoints.
3. New Steering.
4. Evap motor and hoses.
5. Rear differential Seal.

Total on these fixes were: $750, didn't think it was that bad. Rides like a new truck..just doesn't look it..lol. I still have to post pics..hopefully this weekend.

Next month:
1. Brakes.
2. Exhaust - Not sure on this, looking at the Dynomax Super Turbo dual exhaust?
3. CAI - Probably a K&N System
3. Full 60,000 Mile Tune Up

August-September
1. Replace Box - Tailgate
2. Fender Flares - Not sure if I want the smooth OE look or the bolt on look.
3. Tires - Rims
4. New Bumper Rear, and front bumper cover unit.

October-November
1. Paint - outside and underbody touch up
2. New lights Ultrabright White - Led 3rd Brake light
3. Sidesteps

Winter
1. Paint 20" stock rims black
2. Rhino Liner

Last edited by Ramsportman; 06-24-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:24 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

SWEET! lookin forward to the progress!

Old 06-24-2010, 07:37 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Need Pictures, I feel you made the right choice I also had to make that decsion earlier this year and decided to keep the old girl.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Sport fix it up or get rid of it advice?