3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Interesting intermittent problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:51 AM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interesting intermittent problem...

So i've got a 2005 QC ram 5.7L with about 36k and i love it. It runs great and ive been doing all the regular maintenance, etc. Occasionally however, the starter will turn the engine over but it won't start. It happens maybe once or twice a week and will start if i try again giving it a little gas. I've been experiencing this phenomenon since the day i got it (5k miles ago) and just changed the plugs to some NGK v-powers (it runs real smooth now ). I would think the problem is fuel delivery in this case...but an intermittent problem with the fuel pump? I've been letting it go for a while but don't want to risk any possible damage by sometimes having to gas her a bit during some starts.

I've not been able to find anyone with a similar intermittent problem like this one...any ideas?

Old 06-13-2010, 04:31 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try resetting the PCM, you can do this by removing the negative battery cable fore 20 mins or remove the PCM fuse and (fasten your seat belt) turning your key on-off-on-off-on (don't start it) then you should hear 2 dings and it should be reset
also get your battery tested low voltage (bad battery) can cause some weird stuff

Old 06-13-2010, 03:21 PM
popdog
Veteran

battery is actually less than 5 months old, I made the dealer put in a new one before I bought it. I've reset the PCM before on it with no effect...I am running superchips on 91. I mean when she starts normally, it will start enthusiastically almost the instant you turn the key, it's not like the starter is chugging along or anything. It's just that sometimes the starter will turn the engine over without even a sputter - you can tell it's getting no fuel, but a little tap of the gas pedal brings her right to life.

BTW - nice truck, looks like mine black ftw.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

36k, I'm betting the throttle body ain't ever been cleaned and is gummed up big time. My guess is you gotta hit the throttle a bit to unstick it.

Clean the TB, even if it's not the cause of your issue, it sure can't hurt...

Old 06-13-2010, 03:57 PM
popdog
Veteran

That is a good idea hammer... When I changed the plugs on her last week i noticed they'd never been changed in the first 5 years of her life.. I doubt the previous owner cleaned the TB. But doesn't the TB usually have a little side cut-out that allows enough air for idling? Though I could see the TB needing to be opened a little more during starting...

Old 06-13-2010, 05:45 PM
popdog
Veteran

bump. Any more ideas before I spend a day working on the issue? definitely appreciate it.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:28 PM
popdog
Veteran

Bumping this again, cleaned the TB the other day and today in the humidity and rain, the truck turned over but didn't start. I tried a couple times without giving it gas and after 3 or 4 tries the starter just clicked once and didn't attempt to start her up. After that I waited about 30 seconds and tried again, giving it just a little gas - and it started right up. Yesterday it started right up every time without an issue.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:23 AM
popdog
Veteran

Any ideas would be much appreciated! i'm kinda stumped.

Quick Reply: Interesting intermittent problem...