3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

specks of rust under clearcoat

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Snoopie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jake7
It is actual rust..paints bubbled up and looks like crap. Its only in a small section and the few bubbles are all close together but a friend of mine works at an auto body place so I'm gonna try and get it up there before that "cancer" spreads!
Ya, in your case it's not specs.
I JUST had this fixed. Mine however, was covered under warrenty and didn't cost me anything. I researched it before and the fix is anywhere from liek 1000-2000 for a fix. They have the take it apart, cut out the affected metal, finish off the left over rust, weld a new plate in, I got mine rust checked underneath and then prime paint clearcoat after. If you have a warrenty, or even if you don't, I would suggest going to a dodge dealership and seeing what the can do about it. It seems to be a manufacture error... The water and salt gets caught behind the fenders by the wheel wells and rusts from the inside out. Good luck man. Like I said I JUST had this redone... May 17, 2010

Old 06-20-2010, 10:18 PM
jake7
All Star

You're lucky yours was under warranty!!! My stepdad's was too! Mine unfortunately is not.... I'm hoping this friend of a friend can help me out a little. I'd ratehr bite the bullet and get it taken care of sooner than later when it's much worse! Luckily it's only on one side (knock on wood!)

Old 06-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Bent
Veteran

Any chance the rust spots could be "rail dust"?

If so, your finish is probably toast - contact your dealer (and the BBB), see what happens.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:22 PM
jake7
All Star

BENT-if you're inquiring about my truck it's just damn 'ol rust....

Old 06-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Bent
Veteran

Sorry guys, I hit "post" before putting my heavy drama smileys...
even if it is rail dust, it can be dealt with.

My '04 has rust starting pretty good at the rear stake pockets.
The truck was my Mom's (she left it to me last summer), she had the dealer put OEM bed-rails on it when she bout it, the dealer over-tightened the bed-rail mounts, crunching the inside of the stake-pockets and breaking through the paint. This will be a Bi Thc to have repaired.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:42 PM
jake7
All Star

Bent- you happen to have a picture of what you are talking about? (the bed rail monunts) I think my brother might end up with same problem on his from what you are talking about.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:44 PM
schinkelm

Been doin research and it is rail dust http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=258340.... Went to checkers and got a clay bar kit, polish and wax. Tested it on roof where there was a few spots of it, and it does pull the rail dust out.. Takes a while and alot of lube, but it does work.. Ran out of day light to completely finish, im gonna hit it again with some more clay til it stops turning brown, then hit it with some polish and a few coats of wax, im guessing this is gonna take a few days of claying and waxing after work in order to get it done but it beats $250 for a clay and wax at a detailer.. Spent about $30 for clay bar kit, wax, applicators, and micro towels... Ill let you guys know how it goes and ill try the wife's camera and see if i can get some pics before/after...

Old 06-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Bent
Veteran

my truck is "molten red", so surface imperfections just don't show up in photo's very well. (I guess that's a good thing...)

I'll try to snap some pics and see if they can be tweaked to show what I mean.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 AM
mudkicker78
Professional

I bought my truck in November and it had some big scratches in it and I'm suprised theres no rust! The guy that looked at it said the whole truck needs paint. Fat chance of that happening.

When I was little I heard my dad tell the salesman that the car he was buying should be discounted becuase its rusting out on the showroom floor. I live in Massachusetts, When I was a teenager the only things worse off than a dodge was a toyota! lol

Old 06-21-2010, 07:56 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by schinkelm
Been doin research and it is rail dust http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=258340.... Went to checkers and got a clay bar kit, polish and wax. Tested it on roof where there was a few spots of it, and it does pull the rail dust out.. Takes a while and alot of lube, but it does work.. Ran out of day light to completely finish, im gonna hit it again with some more clay til it stops turning brown, then hit it with some polish and a few coats of wax, im guessing this is gonna take a few days of claying and waxing after work in order to get it done but it beats $250 for a clay and wax at a detailer.. Spent about $30 for clay bar kit, wax, applicators, and micro towels... Ill let you guys know how it goes and ill try the wife's camera and see if i can get some pics before/after...
It's amazing how the truck feels the first time you claybar. From sandpaper to glass!

Quick Reply: specks of rust under clearcoat