3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

specks of rust under clearcoat

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:24 PM
schinkelm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default specks of rust under clearcoat

So I just got done washing my truck, and I was standing there looking at the paint, there were a bunch of tiny brown specks all over my hood, thinking it was just pollen that swept over it from the wind, I tried to wiped it off. It didnt come off and after inspecting all of the paint with the sun how it is, I see these little specks all over my truck, front, sides and tailgate. So I did some reasearch and found some posts about iron specks getting embedded into the clearcoat during shipping and eventually rusting. Has anyone had this problem with there trucks, and any suggestions on how to get it off. Wish I could take a pic of it but the specks are about half the size of a pin head. My truck is white so it really shows in certain light.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:31 PM
ram_bo06
Captain

Hey man I had that same issue this past winter. And up here in the northeast I was very nervous to draw the conclusion that it was rust w/ all the salt we use on the roads up here. However If next time you wash your truck use a bug rag(used to get bugs off from autozone or whatever) and they will scrub off. Definite elbow grease required. Some of the more stuborn spots came off w/ a very thurough wax...time will tell if they return but glad to say I can't see them anymore!
Advice from one white ram owner to another...

Old 06-20-2010, 08:36 PM
schinkelm

Thanks I will have to give it a try, wasnt sure exactly what it was until i read that post about the iron specks. My truck has spent its life in Southern California so I didnt think about road salt. I was gonna take the truck in for a detail here pretty soon, might wait and just have them clay bar it and rewax it, cause these little specks are every where..

Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 PM
ram_bo06
Captain

I had them everywhere...side quarter panels. doors. rear quarters. front clip. and tailgate. They never made their way up to the hood though. Good luck hope it clears them up

Old 06-20-2010, 08:49 PM
schinkelm

thanks...

Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Snoopie
Amateur

I have this problem on my tailgate. I am going to try waxing them out but I'll keep this other solutions in mind. Thanks for the tips ram bo

Old 06-20-2010, 09:11 PM
jake7
All Star

I've got rust starting right above my right rear fender I'll be taking it to a place in town to see what it'd cost to fix...I'd rather it be these iron specks...

Old 06-20-2010, 09:13 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Don't "scrub" your paint, that's a great way to leave swirls and scratches in it. The first thing you should do (after a good wash) is take a clay bar to it. Be aggressive with the clay. That should pull all of those specs out of your paint. Follow it up with a good wax.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:17 PM
ram_bo06
Captain

Originally Posted by jake7
I've got rust starting right above my right rear fender I'll be taking it to a place in town to see what it'd cost to fix...I'd rather it be these iron specks...
I don't know for sure in your case but I would be surprised if it was the iron spots being your truck is black. It doesn't do justice to call them spots...they are more like specals. they are like the size of a needle points. barely see them unless close up on white, I would think almost impossible to see on black. but hopefully cause they do come out thats what it is in ure case, and rust doesn't exactly have that quality... damn rust!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:51 PM
jake7
All Star

It is actual rust..paints bubbled up and looks like crap. Its only in a small section and the few bubbles are all close together but a friend of mine works at an auto body place so I'm gonna try and get it up there before that "cancer" spreads!

Quick Reply: specks of rust under clearcoat