3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wont start, maybe hydrolocked?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:58 PM
AlbertaGirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont start, maybe hydrolocked?

My husband took the kids out "mudding" around. Kiddy version of it anyway, they hit a puddle, truck stopped dead, and wouldnt turn over again. They checked air box and it had water in it. They figured truck was vapor locked, so they pulled plugs and tried to turn the truck over but all it would do is make a click noise, so turned the truck over by hand and tried the starter again, starter would make couple of revolutions and the motor would lock up again. Im including a picture, do you think this a puddle this deep would have hydrolocked the truck? They werent going too fast, the kids were in the truck, maybe 20-25km. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Attached Thumbnails Wont start, maybe hydrolocked?-36001_437638885943_698405943_6316400_4754504_n.jpg  
Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 PM
DodgeTech228

If it's turning over two complete revolutions, it's not hydrolocking. You say after a couple revs, it's locking again. What is being done to unlock it?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 PM
AlbertaGirl

had a mechanic look at the truck and he figures that a rod bent when my husband tried to restart the truck after it stalled and thats why the motor isnt turning completey over to force out the water

Old 06-22-2010, 04:09 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then again you could of shorted out the starter. It is electric and that was water. As too how much water got in the motor, I'm not there but you would think not enough too bend a push rod.Yeah stall a motor, but push rod. eh not on my dime.When things get sorted out please refresh us. Thanks. I like too mud around as well.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:17 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's pretty hard to mistake the sound an engine makes when it is hydrolocked. The force against the engine trying to drive the pistons against the resistance of water and metal bending is not a sound you can mistake by a long shot.

If he didn't hear god-awful sounds, odds are it's a vapor lock or he caused a dead short... But to answer your question, yes that water is deep enough to hydrolock an engine...

Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 PM
kicker417
Veteran

yes a puddle like that can hydrolock your engine i am sure they were goin fast to by fast i mean atleast 25MPH i hope you have full coverage of or the funds for a rebuilt

Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like a stock filter and I would doubt that you sucked enogh water into the engine to lock it up. (could be wrong). The rod she is talking about is a piston rod not push rod. If the engine can be turned over by hand then the rod is not likely damaged. And I would then look at the electrical side, ie. starter, battery, pcm. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:02 PM
DodgeGeneralLee90

Last year I used to own a VW bug and this happened to me after going into a big pond because of a hurricane flood, the engine didn't turn over at all, yet the starter tried to turn it. I didn't know what was going on and a friend of mine (who is a VW expert) told me to take the sparks out and turn it over by means of the starter. Water went away and the car worked again, though he never told me anything about the "hydrolock" concept, he just told me what to do and that was it, LOL

Quick Reply: Wont start, maybe hydrolocked?