3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Hemi Dave
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Oil Filters

Go to the site below and check out the oil filter study. Looks like AC Dura Guard, Purolator Pure 1 and Mobile are the way to go. Fram seems to be the worst. This guys testing makes a lot of sense. Also read the story about the Mopar Filters...not what they may seem to be.

http://www.minimopar.knizefamily.net

Old 05-17-2005, 12:20 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best Oil Filters

Couldn't get the link to work.[&o]

Old 05-17-2005, 01:03 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

That site has been ciculating around here for a while. It is a good study although a few years old. I usually use Wix, Mobil, or K&N filters although the Fram ToughGard aren't that bad.

Old 05-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Drew
Professional

Fleetguard Stratopour for mine.

Fleetguard is actualy a division of Cummins, so I'm making sure I dont void the warranty

Old 05-17-2005, 01:53 PM
WingViper
All Star

I did my second oil change the other day on my Ram and after reading a bunch of threads decided to switch from crude to synthetic and go with Mobil 1. I buy a filter and the oil and head home. I wake up the next day and start working the switch, get the oil filter off and oil drained good, when I go to put on my Mobil 1 filter, and lo-and-behold there are METAL shavings in my new Mobil 1 filter! I was LIVID. Looking closer I found glue around the gasket all over the place and dents and dings in the inner walls. I was able to get a ride back to the store (Autozone) and switch it out with another Mobil 1 filter that passed inspection but even the store manager was surprised that a bad filter had come from Mobil 1. I plan on seeing how this change comes out, but definitely check your filters before purchase. My family has used Frams for as long as I can remember and never had a problem, and even the Autozone guys said Fram is a good brand, but maybe they haven't seen these tests. Just laying out my experiences.

Old 05-17-2005, 04:11 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

definitely check your filters before purchase
I check all the filters I get before I buy them. I look for crap in them (such as shavings from the processing of the can and threads), dents and dings, and most importantly that it is the correct part number! I have seen boxes where some idiot switched them. Also seen this in air filters where some low life takes a K&N and puts it in a regular box so he gets it for a few bucks cheaper. I have seen more sitcheroos than anything.

even the Autozone guys said Fram is a good brand
I've learned to not trust some of these peoples' opinions. Some know much, most know as little as what the computer in front of them tells them. Fram is NOT BAD, it is just there are BETTER choices. I do run thier ToughGard line of filters though if the Mobil or PureOne isn't available. I'm not a fan of thier regular Orange filters or the ones with Teflon in them. Engine longevity comes down to maintenance, pure and simple. I knew a guy that ran plain dino for about 12K miles because he was "too busy" to have it changed and the motor seized up on him from blocked passages. I've also had friends that change every 3k miles and have over 250K miles. It doesn't run like new, but it does run and start when he needs it too.

And for the people that balk at spending $35-40 for a synthetic change with premium filter. Look at how much money in gas you've spent to get to that 3K miles. Lets see: 3000/15mpg is 200 gallons of gas 200x$2 is $400. I stretch my synthetic over 5K miles so the value is even greater. Just doesn't make sense to me to cheap out on maintenance.

Old 05-17-2005, 11:39 PM
mill500
Veteran

I've read quite a few of the reviews as well, and most come down pretty hard on Fram. They don't like the bypass, have inferior filter media, and have been documented to actually have found cigarette butts inside when cut open (true story---not urban myth). The best reviews I've found are on Wix, NAPA Gold and Mobil 1. I usually bounce back and forth between the Wix and Napa depending on which parts store I'm going by when I'm ready for a change. Never have tried the Mobil1 filter, but use the oil all the time.

Quick Reply: Best Oil Filters