3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 Ram Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Loosestar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. , I think I had it all wrong. My 03 was making the same noises and the Dodge mechanic said I needed new pads & rotors all the way around. I made an appointment and drove the truck home, making more noise each mile. Yesterday I got in to drop the truck off so they would have it first thing this morning and made it less than a mile. Left front wheel locked up and broke the spindle and ripped the wheel right off the hub. I hope the pic shows. I am NOT a happy camper. By the way, there are 40,000 miles on the truck. My fault for NOT listening to my gut feeling that the noise was more than brake related. Glad it was on a back road and I was doing less than 30 mph. (Sorry for crappy cell phone pic)

Attached Thumbnails 03 Ram Front End Noise-0627101912b.jpg  

Last edited by Loosestar; 06-28-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:34 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You ripped the wheel bearing hub off the spindle.

Were all three bolts still in the hub? Or were you missing one or two or all three? Other than that the tie rod and sway bar link look to be in place.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Loosestar

Bearings locked up and broke hub apart. Half of hub still bolted to spindle, the other half stayed with the rotor, the caliper moved off the rotor and broke a hole through the inside of the aluminum wheel, causing tire to go flat. The wheel & tire mashed against the fender, pushing it up against the door. Wouldn't let me post another pic, don't know why.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:58 PM
kastoria

Turns out the right wheel bearing is shot. The guy at the shop cant confirm if thats what caused the loud banging sound that only happened once, but said it is possible. In any case, gonna get both bearings replaced so I am not going back in 2 months to do the left side. I am also going to replace the shocks (looks like I am going to go with sensatracs) and might replace the ball joints since I will be under there (eventhough they seem in good shape). I am very proactive if it shows. The only thing I am having a hard time finding is new springs. I know its not needed, shocks would be enough, I figure what the hell. Its not the money but the piece of mind knowing the front end is all new. Just cant find them.

So if anyone has any suggestions on springs please let me know, also like I said as of right now I am going with sensatrac shocks - but if you can suggest something better and why fill me in. Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:01 AM
kastoria

Originally Posted by Loosestar
O.K. , I think I had it all wrong. My 03 was making the same noises and the Dodge mechanic said I needed new pads & rotors all the way around. I made an appointment and drove the truck home, making more noise each mile. Yesterday I got in to drop the truck off so they would have it first thing this morning and made it less than a mile. Left front wheel locked up and broke the spindle and ripped the wheel right off the hub. I hope the pic shows. I am NOT a happy camper. By the way, there are 40,000 miles on the truck. My fault for NOT listening to my gut feeling that the noise was more than brake related. Glad it was on a back road and I was doing less than 30 mph. (Sorry for crappy cell phone pic)
Hey the pic came out really nice for a cell phone - too bads its a nice pic of a bad situation. I am thinking the same thing right now since I know I have a shot bearing but no time to bring it in yet. I am still driving the truck but have about 3 more days before I am able to leave it for the repairs. So wish me luck.

Quick Reply: 03 Ram Front End Noise