3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 Ram Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 PM
kastoria
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Ram Front End Noise

Have an 03 1500 5.7 2WD w/73,000 miles. Just the past week or so I have been noticing some front end noise. Hard to explain but sounds like a creaking sound, the other day about 3 times in a 20 mile drive it sounded like my tire was rubbing up against my wheel well (it wasnt thank god) but that what it sounded like. Just yesterday I made a right hand turn and there was a lound bang bang bang. All the front end componenents are original other than general brake pads and rotors. I was planning on getting new shocks this month even before this started, but now am wondering if new springs and other stuff should be replaced. I inspected the suspension and there are no broken or cracked parts or anything loose, so really nothing visible. Any different ideas or am I on the right track? Thanks.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:33 AM
texaskook
Rookie

I would jack up the frontend and give the wheel a firm shake to see if it's time for new bearing/hub assembly. If the wheel doesn't feel loose, I would remove the wheel & inspect the brakes, balljoints, and where the swaybar connects to the lower control arm. That's just what I would do....

Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 AM
kastoria

Did it. Nothing seemed loose or make any noise. Didnt look at the swaybar or lower control arm though. Checked the wheels and shocks. The problem is not knowing where the noise is coming from (or being able to duplicate it no matter what I do) and everything looking solid. I dont know what to replace, I dont mind putting all new parts as long as they are going in the right place.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 AM
texaskook
Rookie

Frustrating sometimes huh.....maybe one of these vets will chime in with some knowledge...prolly have to wait til mrng. I put a level kit on and after the suspension settled I was hearing a couple of loud bangs....turned out I didn't have the nut on the swaybar knuckle tightened up enough where it hooks to the LCR. That's the reason I mentioned that....

Old 06-25-2010, 02:29 AM
brettj2408
Captain

how is the insulation at the top of your coils? is it wearing away where its metal on metal and when turning it bangs?
are your tires cupped?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:50 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If it is creaking then it is usually the front shocks. I think you are on the right track in getting them replaced. As for any other front end components, you should take it by a front end shop and let them look at it for free and tell you what needs replacing if anything. Then replace the parts yourself and take it back in for an alingment

Old 06-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Loosestar

My money is on you needing new pads and probably rotors. Easy to check! It will get louder, much more noticable and frequent the more you drive the truck. - Lou

Last edited by Loosestar; 06-25-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:40 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

It could be a number of things. I'm leaning very much towards the ball joints and also the shocks being worn. Having an 03 with all original suspension components I would say it's time for those flimsy ball joints to be changed out.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:35 PM
kastoria

Thanks guys for all your help. Had a crap load of noise today, all different sounds. One second it sounds like bad shocks, then it maybe wheel bearings, ball joints. Every noise I hear sounds like a different part going bad. Planning to bring it in to a front end specialty shop to give it a run down. Cuz Ive done all the checking I can do. If it was just one type of sound all the time it would have been much easier, but the noise changes. Well hopefully someone who hears these sounds all day might be able to track it down. All your ideas were great, but I hope not all those parts need to be replaced. Will let you know. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:56 AM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar issue a month ago. I was hearing what appeared to be two to three distinct noises, from creaking, to a loud bang, etc. At first glance all I could find was a broken tailpipe mount, which I re-welded. That didn't solve any noise issues.

What I did find was a broken front left shock that upon initial inspection appeared to be ok, along with a failing front U-joint. I have (had) my torsion bars cranked 2" to level the truck and that stressed the shocks out until one failed (which is the first shock in my 30+ years of driving that I've ever had fail). Putting on a new set of shocks and U-joints fixed everything.

I then dropped the front down about an inch. You have to look close to see that's it's no longer truly level, but holy crap, the ride is a lot better. My commute went from 65 to 140 miles RT in April, and that harsh leveled-out ride was beating my *** up like a rented mule.

Quick Reply: 03 Ram Front End Noise