3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dry Torque, Wet Torque and Anti-seize. FYI

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Big_Wheel
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dry Torque, Wet Torque and Anti-seize. FYI

Well i seen a post on a certian thread that caught my eye, and could lead the average joe wrong. This post is about Wet Torques and Dry torques-

Dry torque is a Torque specification given to a fastner that has no lubrication added--this is most bolts and most applications.

Wet Torque is a Torque specification given to a fastner that lubrication is needed/added -- this is for spark plugs, fastners in very high temperatures, corrosive conditions and also heavy equipment "tracks"

When applying torque to a dry bolt more friction is created than applying torque to a wet bolt with oil or other automotive fluids on the threads. With less friction (wet threads), the bolt will stretch more before a torque wench will click. Because friction is such a big factor in bolt torque, it is important to know the difference between applying torque to a dry bolt and a wet bolt. Using oil, anti-seize or other types of thread lubricant is a common practice, but an understanding that wet threads require less torque than dry threads because of friction is very important.

If you use want to use anti-sieze on a spark plug especially in the hemi it is essential you use a wet torque also do not use a Graphite based anti-sieze on the hemi aluminum heads----(unless your hemi is in an aircraft!)

if you do not know the Torque Specification:

ANTI SEIZE
The use of an anti-seize product is an excellent method of preventing galvanic corrosion, especially in hot, acidic, or caustic environments.
Anti-seize resists galvanic attack by sacrificing the metals in the anti-seize in preference to the metal parts under protection. Use on threaded fasteners to prevent rust and seizing.
2 important types to know about

Graphite Aluminum Compatibility:
Extreme potential for galvanic corrosion to the aluminum. Graphite used on aluminum, magnesium, zinc, cadmium may cause galvanic corrosion. It is best suited for Inconel, stainless, and titanium alloys.
This compound contains graphite which may promote corrosion of aluminum, ferrous, magnesium, zinc or cadmium alloys or platings and should not be used in contact with these metals

Graphite and Stainless Steel

Graphite and other carbon compounds at high temperatures can cause stainless steel to "carburize". The carbide precipitates produced promote corrosion. The consequences of carburization are:
  • the steel loses its stainless quality
  • the mechanical properties are harmed,
  • red rust corrosion appears
  • Loss of metal, cracks and pinholes appear.

Zinc-Anti-seize

Good quality anti-seize has lots of metal (active ingredient) and little grease. This makes it thick and pasty. Since metal is expensive and grease is inexpensive, poor quality anti-seize is often a can of grease with a sprinkling of copper flakes.
Contrary to the opinion on the street - copper flakes are not a sign of quality. Copper is an inexpensive filler that often the consumer expects to see.

Below is a Reference chart for temperatures and types of metals

So i took alot of this information from my auto-text books and some from various websites.. the charts i found online also its my first FYI let me know if you guys think its important.

Last edited by Big_Wheel; 06-26-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: decided to through in a bolt marking chart to help clarify the torque value chart
Old 06-26-2010, 03:15 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I seen this and was gonna comment it in the original thread, but I'll bring it in here since it's most appropriate.

Originally Posted by ja9to
OK well as for the anti-seize.... i work on aircraft engines and we use anti-seize on all bolts and screws in hot areas because all it does is keep the two metals from welding together at hot temps. not using the anti-seize will only cause more problems for you when you do your next maintenance. it will NOT EFFECT THE TORQUE VALUE!!!
What a bone head. It most certainly does effect the value.
It's called K-Value

Looke HERE for brief info

and HERE for very detailed info regarding that aspect.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info DirtyDog

Quick Reply: Dry Torque, Wet Torque and Anti-seize. FYI