3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Condenser Fan Motor Info

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:53 AM
kentp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Condenser Fan Motor Info

Hello Everyone,

I just experienced what seems to be a common problem. My a/c condenser fan motor bit the dust. The brushes are toast and there is not any REASONABLE way to replace them and the commutator is in bad shape anyway.

I have done a considerable amount of digging and found a replacement motor for those who do not wish to purchase the entire assembly.

Look for a Four Seasons pn 35380 it is a direct replacement and can be had at your local O'Reilly Auto for $32.99.

If you are digging for used parts or your local auto parts store gives you dumb looks or tells you it is a dealer only item, it ain't so.........This motor also fits the following applications mostly used as a radiator cooling fan motor(copied from Four Seasons website)

Buick Regal Sedan / Coupe (93-90)
Buick Riviera (99-95)
Buick Skylark (91-86)
Buick Somerset (86)
Cadillac Allante (93-89)
Cadillac Concours (99-94)
Cadillac Deville (99-96)
Cadillac Eldorado (00-93)
Cadillac Seville (97-93)
Chevy Camaro (95-90)
Dodge Pickup - Fullsize / Ramcharger (08-04)
Olds Calais / Cutlass Calais (91-90)
Olds Ciera / Cutlass Ciera (91-90) Pontiac Firebird (95-93)

I have searched this site and have not seen this posted before so I thought I would in hopes that it might help someone.

Thanks,
Kent

Old 06-29-2010, 03:37 AM
abarmby
Champion

Good info right there.
I replaced the brushes in mine and it was reletively easy.
Al.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Very good info to know. THX for the research time invested and sharing.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

bumping the thread because its getting warm and we are bound to get threads on this

Old 05-20-2012, 05:14 PM
broncoremy
Professional

Hello All,

Just ran into this same a/c trouble and as always I can count on you guys to save me a giant load of cash. I found that the condenser fan motor was not spinning, then came here looking for info and found that I am not the only one.

However, I am not certain that the motor cited above is the correct motor. Could be a more universal P/N, but the motor I took out of the beast does not look like the motor mentioned, Four Seasons P/N 35380. The motor P/N I found while looking on the Four Seasons website was Four Seasons P/N 35077 and it looks like a match to what I have.

Rockauto has it:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1251803

four seasons website:
http://www.4s.com
go to ecatalog
search by dodge 2003, ram, hemi, condenser fan motor...
searching for 35077 didn't work

Advance Auto has it, too.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Radiator---Condenser-Fan-Motor-Factory-Air_15010066-P_804_R|GRPACPTAMS____

Last edited by broncoremy; 05-20-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: missed step in search on 4s.com
Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 PM
PreacherOK

On another thread I did a step by step on using a under $30 fan motor from O'Reilly. It is not OEM and does require a little bit of electrical work but for those cheap like me it works well. That number was PM538.
It will need two 1/4" blade connectors attached to your positive and negative leads (the OEM connector will not fit) but it works well.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:00 AM
broncoremy
Professional

The 35077 motor came in and I installed it without any trouble or modifications. The motor was form, fit and functionally the same as the oem motor with one minor difference. The plug for the new motor was on a 2 wire pigtail instead of being part of the motor assembly like the oem. That did not make any difference for installation except that I had to secure the wire assembly with some zip ties.

The air works fine and is nice and cold. ...and there was much rejoicing.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:49 PM
belaw

Originally Posted by broncoremy
Hello All,

Just ran into this same a/c trouble and as always I can count on you guys to save me a giant load of cash. I found that the condenser fan motor was not spinning, then came here looking for info and found that I am not the only one.

However, I am not certain that the motor cited above is the correct motor. Could be a more universal P/N, but the motor I took out of the beast does not look like the motor mentioned, Four Seasons P/N 35380. The motor P/N I found while looking on the Four Seasons website was Four Seasons P/N 35077 and it looks like a match to what I have.
Add me to the club; my condensor fan pooped out a few days ago and luckily I stumbled across this thread.

FWIW, the 4 Season catalog list 35077 as the correct fan motor for 2002-2003 Ram's and 35380 as the correct motor for 2004-2008 models.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:52 PM
belaw

I replaced mine today using a VDO motor I picked up at Auto Zone, part #PM523. $28 with a lifetime warranty. The motor was a direct swap for the factory part and the whole job took about 45 minutes. The hardest part is working the shroud off of and then back onto the condenser- its a tight fit.

Remember, this motor is for 2004-2008 trucks; 2002 and 2003 models use a different motor.

Last edited by belaw; 06-10-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 AM
talon527
Default Glad I found this thread!

My a/c was short cycling at idle, and blowing hot. I thought it was because of low charge but at idle the low side was overpressure. I started thinking I had a blockage somewhere until I found this thread.

I just switched the relays, checked fuses and all were fine, but fan wasn't engaging. I tried giving it some "encouragement" (tap tap) but still nothing. When the a/c is turned on I'm getting the proper voltage at the plug so it looks like a new motor for me.

My question though, as I've been reading it seems like some people have pulled the condenser and opened up the system. Looking at it, it seems like this is the easiest way to get to the fan but in this thread it sounds like some have seperated the shroud from the condenser unit. Is this the case? Can anyone explain or lead me to some help as to how it's done?

I'd rather not have to open up the system because I don't have the tools to properly evacuate and recharge it and I want it done right. If I can swap in a new motor myself without breaking the connections maybe I can have A/C for the end of this summer, since I see the motor for around $60. If it needs to be opened up I will probably have to wait until next year I guess. Can't put too much money in this right now.

Thanks everyone, this forum is awesome.

Quick Reply: A/C Condenser Fan Motor Info