3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Studs, gaskets, catalytic converters, OH MY!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Studs, gaskets, catalytic converters, OH MY!

Ok... I've pretty much exhausted the options here.

I'm going to bug Pacesetter about the LT Headers wit the bolt that will not line up.

I want to do some better hardware... what exactly is the difference between studs and bolts? Advantages or disadvantages... is there a way to find them local?

I put the MOPAR gaskets on, but they are leaking terribly... at least I think it is coming from the headers -- I have an idea that it could also be coming from where the y-pipe dips below the drive shaft. Anyone have experience with finding leaks? Is there something I need to put on the gasket before I get ready to change them?

I ended up putting out back the stock location, but I do want to get a dual out system here soon. I just have one glasspack.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:31 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Most guys will use bolts on the headers. Studs are bolts with no heads that go into the block and a nut goes down on the bolt to clamp it in place.

Most guys will use studs where HIGH pressures are at such as the heads and rods/crank

If the Mopar gaskets are leaking then I would ask if you have the LTs fitted correctly and have the gaskets facing the right direction?

As for finding a leak, let the engine be cool and throw baby powder all over the heads/headers and crank it up and see if it blows it from anywhere.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure they are a good set of gaskets that are put on correctly? The MOPAR gaskets are usually some of the best for the header install.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Atomic Punk
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get you a fog machine like they use for haunted house and parties. YOu can rent them or try to find a friend with one. Just stick it up your tail pipe and seal it up the best you can back there. Wwill show you every leak that you have small and large

Old 07-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the best place to find the studs?

I may use that fog machine idea. That sounds like it'll work... I don't know about tossing baby powder on the engine -- seems like the fan would blow it around more than an exhaust leak.

I'm thinking of having studs put in, then get some new gaskets, and just take it to a shop and have them do it -- I don't want to screw it up again.

Quick Reply: Studs, gaskets, catalytic converters, OH MY!