3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LOW OIL...... Please read

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:48 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big_Wheel
ok cool,
check your coolant for any oil slicks or any discolouration and overflowing...

jusjay727--we are helping? and wheres the jumping to conclusions?? wheres your helpful comment?
i honestley dont have a helpful comment but whats up your .... if you read revolvers comment its like he is...obviously this guy is asking for help cause he dont know whats going on i mean yall jump all over the guy cause he changes his oil at 7k with mobil 1 which says it go for what 10k or 15k intervals....(not that its healty but jeez)...so pull the stick out pal....

Last edited by BadHab1t; 07-03-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pm sent buddy..

Old 07-03-2010, 09:14 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

replied....op good luck with your issue...sorry to be a d!ck but sometimes its needed.....ill leave this thread alone before i get p!ssed at ppl...

Old 07-03-2010, 09:21 PM
jimfed67
Amateur

Just checked the coolant..... As red as can be..... No sign of oil in the radiator or overfil canister..... No drops of oil in the driveway..... I'd freak out if there was, just had the driveway laid at a cost of 4K for 2000 square feet!!!

Had the same problem with my mustang when i switched to synthetics..... Always topping off, never saw any spots and the engine was completely dry....

No sign of oil on the block, no sign of oil aroung the head gaskets, no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil etc.....

Where are the plugs on a hemi, they look like thy're buried under the coil packs???

Old 07-03-2010, 09:30 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

yes they are you have 16 plugs in your hemi so its gonna take you a good half hour or so to pull em each one by one and check for deposits....(helpful post)

Old 07-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

yep or a little longer if its your first time.... maybe a synthetic oil guy will chime in to see if he ran into this situation before ..... . Im still stuck on using conventional oil! lol cannot go wrong with that stuff.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:39 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

ive run synthetic in my truck since ive owned it never had an issue with it....ran it in my 99 ram also for 60k before i traded it in had a lil consumption there but also had a bad plenum once that was fixed no more consumption, run sythetic in my car and my quads never had any issues with synthetics....

Old 07-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

ok cool jusjay... did you always run sythentic from new, or have you switched from conventional to synthetic with say like 60k miles or more? encounter any problems there? i keep debating on switching to synthetic but not sure if it will cause problems

Old 07-03-2010, 09:46 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

myy 99 had 80k on it when i switched no problems but thats when i found the plenum leak as there were lots of talk on this here forum in the gen 2 section about the plenum leaking...i do not know if they still use the plenum on the hemis and 4.7s....and my 04 i bought used im the second owner and its been on mobil1 since 50k when i got it....the only problems i could forsee with a change is maybe a slight leak somewhere if sludge had built up as synthetic will clean it out...but if you change oil regularly you should be fine...

Old 07-04-2010, 05:59 AM
abarmby
Champion

To the OP.....who did your last oil change and did they shory change you?
Some Hemis can loose 1 quart of oil between 5K changes which is according to Dodge "aceptable"???
Anyhow, you might find that they didn't fill the engine up correctly and you were running low from the get go so to speak.
They could have filled the enginge and then checked the oil level and then replaced the oil filter without rechecking the level. This would start you off low as the filter would be empty.
I know that's not the brightest of things to do, but people can be distracted at times and it does and has happened.
I'd personally top it off and as said earlier, monitor your consumption every day.
Al.

Quick Reply: LOW OIL...... Please read