3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loud ticking on start up and maybe blown overdrive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 07:21 PM
tk04hemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud ticking on start up and maybe blown overdrive?

so two things. first when i start my truck now it revs higher than usual and ticks really loud coming from the engine/headers (same noise both sides) and it dies down with the rpms when it sets to idle. just wondering if theres any serious issue here?

and second i was riding to vt this weekend and i nailed it passing someone and when speedo got close to 80 it started slowing down and wouldnt shift up. it edged me out a little so i tried it again and this time around 80 it started jerking front/back so i let off. then i tested it out one more time at the next straight away. shifted perfectly smooth and since then (friday) it has been perfect...except that terrible clicking ticking noise.

thanks! happy fourth of july!

Old 07-04-2010, 09:43 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

First off, I'm in no way a mechanic these are just suggestions and opinions on what it could be. maybe someone else will chime in with better info.

Do you have a Hemi? Hemi's are known for ticking. I think it has something to do with the EGR valve.

Do you have headers or factory manifolds? if its headers then you might have a leak around the header gaskets. you should be able to tighten the header bolts down.

Could be loose rocker arms/lifters??

Not sure on the high rev when you crank it. maybe the throttle body is sticking and needs cleaning out.

Now on the tranny. Have you checked the fluid lately? It could have been the Torque converter losing fluid. I had problems with my transmission a while back. The transmission fluid was low from a busted trans cooler that i didnt know about. It slowed down while i was trying to speed up to the speed limit. I got the cooler patched and added a few quarts of fluid and it was fine again. Good luck and i apologize if these are no where close to what your problems are.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:44 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea if you have a hemi, its prob the hemi tick

Old 07-04-2010, 10:55 PM
mattwv88
Professional

I thought I had something wrong with a lifter or something. When I hear an engine ticking it tends to scare me. Glad you guys cleared this up for me!!

Old 07-04-2010, 11:43 PM
tk04hemi
Professional

well my name on here is tk04hemi sooooo haha yea I have a hemi. I sure hope its just a stupid tick but its like a rattling tickingclickingclacking when i turn it on while it used to be smooth a couple days ago. and brand new egr valve

and yea i do have headers but its the same sound from both sides, and if there were a leak it would be all the time light ticking, and im not getting a code either for an internal problem..but always could be

and for the tranny ill check the fluid, got back too late tonight

thanks for all the responses!

Old 07-05-2010, 01:10 AM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tk04hemi
well my name on here is tk04hemi sooooo haha yea I have a hemi. I sure hope its just a stupid tick but its like a rattling tickingclickingclacking when i turn it on while it used to be smooth a couple days ago. and brand new egr valve

and yea i do have headers but its the same sound from both sides, and if there were a leak it would be all the time light ticking, and im not getting a code either for an internal problem..but always could be

and for the tranny ill check the fluid, got back too late tonight

thanks for all the responses!
My truck makes the same rattle/ticking/clicking/clacking. It probably sounds like it's coming from the bottom end if you get under the truck. Many have said this is normal for the hemi, I personally wouldn't think too much of it as any repair to attack the noise would likely escalate to levels of dropping in a new hemi.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The start up noise is common for the Hemi. Mine does it and has done it since since 400 miles.
My old Silverado was so bad at start up that it sounded like marbles being rigorously shaken inside a coffee can. It was F'in LOUD. That truck did it every cold start-up for the whole 3yrs I owned it. GM said piston slap....I think it was from no oil at the top of the engine and I think it's the same thing with the Hemi.
The Hemi tick is different than this noise. It's blatently obvious that for the first 3 seconds, there is no oil at the top of the engine and as the engine continues to run, it gets fed oil and it quiets down. The Hemi's actually have very LOW oil pressure at idle. I can proove this with my truck because when I put the engine at 1,000rpms, the notorious "hemi tick" dissapears. I can do it again and again so it's gotta be due to low oil pressure.

regarding your trans. When is the last time you had your tranny serviced? it almost sounds like you have a clogged filter. I'd do a pan drop and replace the filters and pan fluid as that may just do the trick. it def can't hurt!

Quick Reply: loud ticking on start up and maybe blown overdrive?