3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing RPM????

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:24 AM
JJK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing RPM????

I have a 2002 Ram 2500 5 speed Magnum and just bought a 30ft 5th wheel trailer, my question is how high should I go in each gear for RPMs before changing gears? Any help would be great. I heard that you should go higher on the RPMs than normal when towing a big trailer

Old 07-05-2010, 11:31 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, a ltittle higher is good so that it puts you more in the powerband because as you shift, your slowing down and so is the motor when it goes into the next gear. Your basically setting the engine speed up for the next gear. So when you get into the next lower gear, your engine speed is high enough for you not to lug.
Your rpm just depends on the weight being towed and the incline/decline travled on.
I would say that you would want to run upwards of 3500-4k for taking off and you'll wanna cruise right around 2-2500rpms or so. That's just a generall assumption. Drive your truck so the trailer feels "lighter" yet don't scream the crap outta your engine as there's no need.

Last edited by dirtydog; 07-05-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:38 AM
JJK

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Yeah, a ltittle higher is good so that it puts you more in the powerband because as you shift, your slowing down and so is the motor when it goes into the next gear. Your basically setting the engine speed up for the next gear. So when you get into the next lower gear, your engine speed is high enough for you not to lug.
Your rpm just depends on the weight being towed and the incline/decline travled on.
I would say that you would want to run upwards of 3500-4k for taking off and you'll wanna cruise right around 2-2500rpms or so. That's just a generall assumption. Drive your truck so the trailer feels "lighter" yet don't scream the crap outta your engine as there's no need.
Fully loaded about 11,000lbs and and is classified as and ultra light trailer. Will know when I pick it up this week. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt under on the RPMS so I dont bog down exspecially when I am climbing hills

Old 07-05-2010, 12:45 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll get the feel of how high you must raise the rpms before shifting into the next gear. It may take a few stops before you figure out the sweet spot, but you should be fine. i think it'll tow better than you think.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 PM
JJK

Originally Posted by dirtydog
You'll get the feel of how high you must raise the rpms before shifting into the next gear. It may take a few stops before you figure out the sweet spot, but you should be fine. i think it'll tow better than you think.
Thanks again for all your help, I will let you know how I made out. CHEERS JODY

Quick Reply: Towing RPM????