3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:15 PM
korby05
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation A/C Problems

Ok now that it's almost 100 degrees my way I wanna use my A/C on my truck. The problem is that it's not blowin cold like it used to...

What I've done so far is I've added a can of the A/C stuff to it and it worked but I did notice before I added it the compressor wasn't running but as soon as i put a little bit in it kicked on. Now it worked that day and for the rest of the week. But it cooled down here and I really didn't need the A/C.

Just last weekend it started acting up again. The compressor runs but doesn't get ice cold. I went for a 10 mile drive with it not blowing cold. I came home shut it off and started it up and it blew just as cold as it used and it worked fine all weekend. I noticed this morning that it almost looks like fog coming out of the vents but I can't figure out what it's from and why I'm not really getting any cold air.

Thanks in advance

OH!!! Almost forgot to mention I just joined the 100000 Mile Club

Last edited by korby05; 07-07-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a possible clog somewhere's???
Also, there is suppose to be a certain amount of oil to lube the compressor and a certain amount of 134a to get you cool. It's possible that the pressure valve was not reading anything and not allowing the compressor to turn on. You can take a chance of burning up your compressor if you have too little oil in the system. Those cans only have a pre-set amount mixed in with the 134a.
If your holding pressure, I would reccomend going to Jiffylube or a garage and have them purge and re-fill your system to start fresh. they will atleast be able to diagnose and check for leaks/clogs while doing so.
If you burn up your compressor, you'll have a mess of other parts to change out as well.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:27 PM
korby05
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright thanks...I do work at a stealership so they may be able to do it for nothing if not it'll cost close to nothing with the little discount I do get

Old 07-07-2010, 11:28 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

The orifice filter maybe starting to plug because of debris in the system and freezing up. Do you know if the a/c fan module is coming on? If its not,ck the fuse's in the pdc. I think its fuse 37 or 38.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:48 PM
brettj2408
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my guess is a clogged orfice tube.
if you put gauges on it i bet one side might be going torwards a vacuum or low pressure

Old 07-08-2010, 08:24 AM
MongoDV8
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by korby05

What I've done so far is I've added a can of the A/C stuff to it and it worked but I did notice before I added it the compressor wasn't running but as soon as i put a little bit in it kicked on.
You have a leak somewhere. It leaked down enough that the comp wouldn't kick in. You added a can and got it going again but you still have a leak which is why it quit working again.

Quick Reply: A/C Problems