3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cruise Control Shuts Off at 50 mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 PM
pgoodger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Shuts Off at 50 mph

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum, well i say that I am new I have used this forum for many years to get technical advice just from reading the post but I have never been a reqistered user. Here is my problem, I just bought a used 2004 ram 2500 with 60000 miles on it. This truck is cherry except for the fact that the curise control disengages at 50mph right on the money. You can turn the cruise control on and the light on the dash will light up and you can set your cruise but if you use the accelerate button and push the truck up over 50 the light on the dash will shut off. Now if you apply your brakes and slow down below 46-48mph you can press the on/off button and the light on the dash will come back on. The only mods that have been done to the truck are K&N CAI and flowmasters, and a set of 285/70/17 micky thompson tires. When i hook my data logger up to the truck I am not showing any DTC and the Vehicle speed sensors are showing the speed that is on the speedo and have been varified with gps.

any help would be great
thanks in advance

Old 07-08-2010, 01:29 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

datalogging....You have a tune/r installed in the truck?

Old 07-08-2010, 04:06 PM
AWE Daniel
Veteran

I have this problem with my diablo right at 70 mph, ive tried resetting the pcm and everything else ive been told but nothings worked.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:22 PM
pgoodger

I dont have a tuner all I have is a Snap on Solus Pro Scanner. I am thinking about getting a tuner but I havnt decided between SC or Diablo any suggestions?

Old 07-08-2010, 04:42 PM
oneHEMI57
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you gas or diesel, manual or auto?

2500; 5.7L and diesel w/manual trans is fully eltn controlled by the PCM. More $$ to repair.
You have a servo-less system, w/o vacuum, servos of anyway.

If you have the diesel w/auto, start checking vaccum hoses for cracking and work up to the
bigger item $$ stuff. It just sounds as if there is a crack releasing at that point of pressure.

I have not heard if a PCM re-flash would/can do a fix.

Last edited by oneHEMI57; 07-08-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:05 PM
pgoodger

The truck is a 2500 with a 5.7 w/auto. When i got home form work i set down with the scan tool and got into the 4 wheel abs and reset the tire size and pinion factor to stock and to what it should be with the larger tires. When I check all 3 vehicle speed sensors all of them are right on the money. Now here is where it gets crazy. When you are running down the road and turn the cruise control on and then set the cruise at say 45 the pcm sees the vehicle running down the road at about 24 mph. The pcm also stores the set point of the cruise control at 56 mph. Regardless of what the tire size and pinion factor are set to these are the values that you get. I am beginning to think that someone tried to update the pcm and it did not update correctly or the pcm is corrupt.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Snowmizer

I have the same problem with my 5.9/Auto. Happened after I installed my Flashpaq. Like you say, no codes show for this problem. The only difference with mine is that it shuts off randomly. Sometimes it takes about 10 miles, other times, 1/2 mile. Dealer couldn't help.

Last edited by Snowmizer; 12-06-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Toolman74

I have the same problem. My cruise always worked until one day i had the scanner hooked up and I accidently changed the pinion factor and I had to change it back to what it was. Now the cruise shuts down at 60 mph. i also noticed the engine controller is way low on the actual speed of the vehicle. Has anyone figured this out yet ? Now that I have more info i will play with some stuff and report if I find something. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Shuts Off at 50 mph