3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric fan controller, anyone dealt with this comp...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010 | 03:49 PM
04FloridaHemi
|
Professional
Question Electric fan controller, anyone dealt with this comp...

http://www.dccontrol.com/fancontrol.htm#chc

Found it on here while doing a bunch of searches. Seems like a good solution to the taurus fan install. I emailed them about a week and a half ago, no response. Managed to find a # Sat night, just called and no answer( no machine, just rang and rang). I would really hate to order this piece and the company be out of bus. or be totally unresponsive.

Old 07-12-2010 | 04:43 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Looks way over priced to me. I ran a Hayden 3647 controller and only cost about $40 from Advance Auto

Old 07-12-2010 | 08:14 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Looks way over priced to me...
Man, no lie! Yeow!

Old 07-12-2010 | 10:31 PM
blakeroberts88
Veteran

Even the cheapest one looks overpriced. I bought this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

It actually comes with a 40/60 amp relay as opposed to the 30/40 listed in the article.

Old 07-13-2010 | 01:40 PM
04FloridaHemi
|
Professional
Question

Okay, I didn't put what model and apparently that caused some confusion. I'm looking at the 2sp, which is made just for the taurus 2 speed fan. It's a solid state unit which doesn't need a $35 relay to run high speed, and turns off low to kick in high when it starts to get hot. At least that's my understanding. Like I said I'm trying to contact them, to make sure(about the relay). Cause then it IS too pricey that $ plus another $35 for a relay.

Weedahoe, I guess my ? 's for you would start with...
What fan are you running?
(If your running the taurus 2 spd)...
Is your high on a manual switch? or Are you running high off the other hot lead(for dual fans)?
What relay are you running for it? (since it runs 50+ amps)
If so, how much did you pay for the relay?

From all the reading I did, no one offers a 50+ amp relay w/ their kit to handle the high speed. This one does everything(even eliminated the 100+ amp startup spike), and for the same price as buying a $40 adjustable controller and a $35 relay to handle high speed.
Please let me know if I'm missing something, cause this is one thing I don't wanna f&%$ up.

Blake. Are you also running a Taurus 2 speed fan?
If so how/or are you running high on that harness?

Last edited by 04FloridaHemi; 07-13-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2010 | 02:06 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by 04FloridaHemi
Weedahoe, I guess my ? 's for you would start with...
What fan are you running?
(If your running the taurus 2 spd)...
Is your high on a manual switch? or Are you running high off the other hot lead(for dual fans)?
What relay are you running for it? (since it runs 50+ amps)
If so, how much did you pay for the relay?

From all the reading I did, no one offers a 50+ amp relay w/ their kit to handle the high speed. This one does everything(even eliminated the 100+ amp startup spike), and for the same price as buying a $40 adjustable controller and a $35 relay to handle high speed.
Please let me know if I'm missing something, cause this is one thing I don't wanna f&%$ up.
I am running a Taurus efan. It is a two speed although I am using the low side. I am not running the high speed side at all although i will soon. So to answer your question, there is no switch on the high speed side.

For the low speed side, the 30/40 amp relay that came with my controller works just fine.

However, you can buy 60/80 amp relays on ebay for $9. It is what i will be ordering next week actually.

Most of these guys will all agree there is a huge amp draw at startup. But if you ask what the number is associated with that and where they got that number from, they all got it from another thread which got it from another thread and on and on.

I have yet to see anyone produce a video or pictures with an amp meter showing the real numbers.

Old 07-13-2010 | 03:18 PM
04FloridaHemi
|
Professional

Now when you get the new relay, do you plan on running the high spd off it? And how do you plan to do it?

Old 07-13-2010 | 03:56 PM
ekgaudio
Rookie

I had alot of problems when I first installed my Taurus fan using a universal 40amp controller....(fuse kept blowing and relay overheating). So I ended up getting an old starter solenoid capable of 80amp with an 80amp in line fuse. Wired it all with 10ga cables and heat activated probe in the radiator (off the old kit). All is good now except for a minor problem, I had to re-solder a wire inside the fan motor attached to the brushes that melted. But she seems to be running smooth now.

Old 07-13-2010 | 05:05 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Now when you get the new relay, do you plan on running the high spd off it? And how do you plan to do it?
Simply pull the old relay out and plug the other in. They are both SPDT 5 pin 12v relays. I will upgrade the power wires and change from a 25A MAXI fuse to a 60A glass fuse.

Old 07-13-2010 | 09:41 PM
blakeroberts88
Veteran

Blake. Are you also running a Taurus 2 speed fan?
If so how/or are you running high on that harness?
I ordered this fan off ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I'm waiting for it in the mail. Going to install it this weekend. I am not going to run it on high because it is not needed. On high this fan draws over 40 amps. On low it's about 18 amps. The fan on the low side puts out about the same CFM as the clutch fan and it rarely ever runs unless you are sitting in traffic or driving very slow. On the highway it shouldn't run much if at all. There really isn't a need to run it on high unless you like the sound of a helicopter under your hood and you like popping fuses. Image if you had your fan wired on high and it popped a fuse and all of a sudden your truck had no working fan. With all that being said, I am going to run mine on low.

Quick Reply: Electric fan controller, anyone dealt with this comp...