3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 with a 5.7, which handheld tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:29 AM
glass3222
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrostKing
No thanks. I like my transmission so I'll stick with SC.
^^How many people have had a tranny go bad from a DSP????

Plus with an '03 it will change absolutely nothing with the tranny.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:46 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly. the dumb turds that blew their trannys did so because they didnt know what they were doing when they tweaked stuff.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:27 AM
FrostKing
Professional

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
exactly. the dumb turds that blew their trannys did so because they didnt know what they were doing when they tweaked stuff.
Two of the 'dumb turds' are very close friends of mine. One with an '03 and the other with '04. Both trucks had transmission issues immediately after using DP that were cured when it was removed. The '03 was tried twice in the same day with the same results. The '04 ended up with permanent ABS issues that required a paying trip to the dealership to repair. I have read countless other issues with DP and transmissions as well. Maybe in a year or two it will work better, but for now they are misleading people that they still are not in a beta stage testing on their customers' vehicles.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:29 AM
FrostKing
Professional

Originally Posted by glass3222
^^How many people have had a tranny go bad from a DSP????

Plus with an '03 it will change absolutely nothing with the tranny.
One would think.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:59 AM
03MopaRamman
Captain

Good conversation and surprised though at the disagreement between the Forgottens. IMO If you want to end up with an aggressive Cam in an 03 then you'll need Custom Tuning with a DSP no arguement on that. But until a fellow reaches that point (plenty of good Cams run on the SC) the SC3865 or 3714 (if there are any around that haven't locked up) is great for the 03.

Don't really need those Trans options either as the Tranny performed better when I added the Shift-Kit, even better with the TMR-Delete and so far great with the Torque Converter. Best thing I like with the SC that is why I will stick with it (DSP can't do) is adjust rev limit past stock and shift by hand ie. 6300 to be safe.

DSP in AF's case is great as all his peak grunt is pretty much topped at the stock rev limit/shift point in D so it serves his purpose well as he needs custom Tuning and has a good combo going on in his Truck.

In glass3222's case I would have to recommend he get the SC3865 for his 03 as it really makes a difference and the Tow mode works well for TOWING.

Last edited by 03MopaRamman; 07-14-2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: boing to going
Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FrostKing
No thanks. I like my transmission so I'll stick with SC.
No trans issues from my Diablo for me or anyone else I know.

Maybe someone you know had pre-seen issues and didnt arise until later and they blamed Diablo.

Im am on Diablos forum site almost daily and have never seen an issue of a bad trans from anyones posts or threads.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 AM
glass3222
Captain

Originally Posted by weedahoe
No trans issues from my Diablo for me or anyone else I know.

Maybe someone you know had pre-seen issues and didnt arise until later and they blamed Diablo.

Im am on Diablos forum site almost daily and have never seen an issue of a bad trans from anyones posts or threads.
Same, here. I have had my DSP since January and I have had not issues what so ever. My tranny shifts firmer, than stock, but not problems. I have put 8,000 miles on it with the DSP and I drive it hard.

I am not saying that the DSP cannot cause tranny issues or that it is the perfect tuner for all, but it is like anything when you add power (SC included), it can cause harm. But I doubt the DSP has caused any more issues than any other tuner.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:56 PM
mike_dmt
Rookie

Great stuff guys, thanks a ton. I'm not 100% what direction I'm going to go with this truck. I don't think I'll cam it or anything like that. Probably just stick with my CAI, maybe headers later. But nothing too much more than the tuner. Whats the model of Diablo to look for? I do like the idea of doing a little custom tuning, a friend of mine is in really tight with the local dyno guy, so I can probably do some pulls and tweaking without spending much.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:06 PM
coonhunter79

i have the diablo in my 05 and i love it

Old 07-14-2010, 05:24 PM
glass3222
Captain

Originally Posted by mike_dmt
Great stuff guys, thanks a ton. I'm not 100% what direction I'm going to go with this truck. I don't think I'll cam it or anything like that. Probably just stick with my CAI, maybe headers later. But nothing too much more than the tuner. Whats the model of Diablo to look for? I do like the idea of doing a little custom tuning, a friend of mine is in really tight with the local dyno guy, so I can probably do some pulls and tweaking without spending much.
You can either go with a Diablo Sport Predator u7137, or get a DS Trinity. If you are going with headers, the Diablo has the advantage of being able to add more fuel at WOT since headers can lean out your AFR.

Quick Reply: 03 with a 5.7, which handheld tuner?