3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0700 and P0733 codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:37 AM
mr.rhall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0700 and P0733 codes

I have a 04 Dodge 1500 5.7 2wd. I was driving on the highway and had a problem. While driving my truck seem to have shifting problems, I pulled over and check truck. Everything seemed to be fine, I started out driving again..it started out fine but when it went to shift out, transmission seemed to be slipping. I made it to a station and check the codes. I got codes P0700 and P0733, is this a easy fix or will the transmission have to be rebuilt?

Old 07-17-2010, 11:34 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the p0700 is a generic transimission code, letting you know that there is a problem with it. the p0733 is a specific code. it means one of your forward gears is at an incorrect range. more or less, when the tranny is in that gear, the input shaft is spinning faster than the output (tranny is slipping)

the first thing you need to do is check your fluid. if it is low at all, it can cause this to happen. being too full is just as detrimental. also smell and visually inspect the fluid for burning. if it smells burnt or looks brownish, you need to replace the fluid.

if it isnt your fluid, it could be a number of other things. clogged filters, valve body or solenoid pack problem, wiring harness or TCM problem, input/output shaft sensor problem, or a problem with the clutches in one or more of your gears.

changing your fluid and filters is always a good place to start when troubleshooting this type of problem.

Quick Reply: P0700 and P0733 codes