3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clicking noise yet to be determined...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:57 PM
hontzy87
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise yet to be determined...

Well, after FINALLY getting around to working on my truck today, i've come across 1 horrible brake shoe and yet to determine the clicking noise of my truck. This is from the driver side. It is toast! The passanger side was absolutly fine. Looked brand new. so i did the drivers side and called it a day. Now, after looking around under my truck, i found a bad axle seal leak on the drivers side also. This whole shoe was soaked in diff fluid. I'm guessing thats what ate the hell out of it. Anyways, anyone know how hard axle seals are to replace? Or how much it is going to run getting it done at a shop. and after the axle seal is done, i'm guessing if it's the common dodge problem with the c clip coming undone and tumbling around in the pumpkin, i'll spot it (or the shop will) and that will be my clicking noise. If thats not it, i'm guessing my universal. But i looked that over today and it's solid with no play. I'm just stumped!

Old 07-18-2010, 08:42 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

clicking....Is it coming from the front or the back? Bad CV if coming from the front, Carrier problems if clicking while going around a turn or ujoints if continuously clicking.

axle seal..Your diff cover must come off, your actual c-clip gets pulled out with pliers or a magnet which allows your entire axle to slide out.(c-clip is NOT the clutch pack retainer clips, but the axle c-clips that hold the axles in place) To slide your axle out, you must take off your tire, caliper and rotor...again. All of this to change out your axle seal. I would suggest doing both sides and installing new axle bearings at the same time. Won't cost you much more really. Plus, i would change your other side pads too so you have even pad surface to wear rather than do what the last guy did and change only one side??? Was there a previous owner??

Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Dirty has said it all right. Take off the wheels and everything with them and then the clips for the axles. They are not light. Make sure you put some diff oil down the axle tubes when putting the axles back in.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:54 AM
hontzy87
Professional

Well the passanger side like i said is new. The pad thickness is just as thick as new pads. The driver side pads weren't even there anymore. And all the hardward was (ie springs and adjuster) were completly fused together. I think i might just take it to a shop and get it done. With my work schedual i can't free up a day for the life of me. I'll let yall know when i get her in to get looked at.

Anyways, on a bad note. I let one of the girl friends drive my truck to her work cause i was out of town and she needed a car for her job. She ended up hitting a cement post on my passanger side and dragging it down the side of my truck!!! I'll take pictures today and post them, not going to be pretty.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Cherokee

"Carrier problems if clicking while going around a turn" What do you mean Carrier?

Old 08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
brettj2408
Captain

carrier as in differential carrier. that the ring gear bolts to

Quick Reply: Clicking noise yet to be determined...