3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

84mm ported T/B with zero taper.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:34 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 84mm ported T/B with zero taper.

Yup. No taper. Straight up 84mm all the way through. Decided to port one after I picked a used one up for a good price. I dissassebled the entire thing and went to town. Made a few modifications so I could attaempt to keep the stock butterfly plate. I did this for curiousity purposes so if the truck won't idle properly with the stock plate due to the gap, I'll take it back apart and install a new larger one. Now, the stock shaft was sitting a little tilted which allowed some air to pass over and under the plate, I modified the shaft so the plate is standing straight up/down to close the opening as much as possible. Hopefully that'll help with the idle. it also helps at WOT where the plate goes perfectly sideways rather than a little too far which would also hinder flow. It's ground and polished. We shall see how it goes either tonight or tomorrow when I install it. Heading out for the day, so I'll hit you guys up when I get back and let you know how it goes. I also didn't machine off one side of the shaft because 84mm is .8sq/in larger than stock so for a stock motor, there should be plenty of airflow. If it needs to come back apart for a new plate, i may decide to grind it off anyways. We'll see. Here's a few pics for now.

The grind went pretty slow, but i took my time and made sure it was pretty even and consistent through out. The plate looks close on the bottom cuz the angle of my camera.
I'd like to first see how this performs and maybe I can grind on others???

Old 07-20-2010, 10:45 AM
ekgaudio
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good! I would like to see the results on this one.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:54 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done. You might cut a new butterfly out of some aluminum sheet. Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:54 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

u can practice on mine lol

Old 07-20-2010, 12:26 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks good for sure. Let us know how you like it. That back up might be your replacement.....LOL

Old 07-20-2010, 12:56 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

The idle should be interesting.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:08 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

if its high or irratic, it'll only take 1min to pull the stock butterly out and slide in a new one. it's all experimental right now. I don't have my hopes high at all.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:45 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Curious to see how that idle is going to be with the plate flat like that. Probably will loose some throttle responce too because of it (harder to get the air to flow through)

Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by truckin151
Curious to see how that idle is going to be with the plate flat like that. Probably will loose some throttle responce too because of it (harder to get the air to flow through)
Nah, not really. That doesn't make any difference. The air gets sucked in so it'll go any way around the plate and when you touch the gas, the plate is already beginning to angle.

Anyways, stock plate was a no-go and I actually had the drive gear off a few teeth so it wasn't exactly taught. hard to explain if you've never had one of these apart. So, I had to cut another out of the Stainless plate i had. Couldn't get my hands on any aluminum so I dealt with the hard azz stainless to cut up. I also shaved the shaft too. Cut it in half so only one side is on there now.

Need some input....
Started the truck up and the idle was like it should be when cold. Ran up to 2k and settled to 1500. it didn't take long to settle down to 1k, but below 1k she started to idle a little rough. I put the A/C on and it seemed like the idle was getting better, but when i turned it off, the idle dipped and rose up but was sorta choppy(almost like a plug miss). Now, it was very quiet in my neighborhood(12am) and I only gave it one small jab. Rpms shot up to 3k super quick and settled back to 800ish but still choppy. You guys think it needs to be driven around an learned? or you think it just might be too much TB for my truck?

Last edited by dirtydog; 07-21-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:19 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

send it to me and let me try it out haha

Quick Reply: 84mm ported T/B with zero taper.