3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Squeaking After a Leveling a 2008 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:47 PM
InfernoRedHemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking After a Leveling a 2008 Ram

Me and my brother installed a 2.5 in leveling kit on my truck a couple of days ago and now the front end of my truck squeaks. The squeaking seems to be coming from the front suspension and it is very high pitch. It doesn't just squeak from time to time neither, it is almost nonstop. When we were installing the spacer we couldn't get the tie rod off on either side so we worked the spring in. We did try very hard to get the tie rod off by trying to loosen the ball joint. In this process my brother sprayed penetrating oil in the ball joints and I am not sure if that would break down the grease in them. Another another thing I was thinking that could have caused the problem might be that my brother insisted that we didn't need to torque the nuts to spec, he just hit them with his impact wrench so I really don't know how tight the nuts are. Thanks for your help in advance and ask me any questions that you might have.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:01 PM
sbsga
Professional

my first thought would be ball joints,

Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 AM
InfernoRedHemi
Veteran

Yeah that was what I was thinking but I was hoping that it wasn't. If it changes your opinion the truck only has 14,000 miles

Old 07-23-2010, 12:42 AM
badblackram06
Veteran

i've seen this often with leveling kits on 1500 rams. there is always metal to metal contact causing the squeak. What brand leveling kit did you install? To get the tie rods out you have to spray some penetrating lube and really get ruthless with a sledge hammer. until it pops free.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 AM
InfernoRedHemi
Veteran

The leveling kit is by Ready Lift. So do you think that the squeaking is coming from metal to metal contact with the spacer and the top on the coil spring?

Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 AM
brettj2408
Captain

shocks leaking or maxxed out?
all bolts tight?

Old 07-23-2010, 02:19 AM
InfernoRedHemi
Veteran

I didn't see any problems with the shocks and the nuts were hammered down with a 700 ft/lb impact but they weren't torqued to spec

Old 07-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Matt99
Champion

Hmm the spring should not be moving enough to move, as you noticed it's under a little bit of tension...my thoughts are youdidnt set the spring back in right....is the end of the spring in the little notch on the 0900 position of the bottom spring bucket(looking forward)??

Mine squeaks a little off road...and it's a poly spacer! Did you do the alignment and longer shocks? Also, are you having the UCA hit the top spring bucket at all?

I'm saying that thinking you have a 2wd of course

Old 07-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Deviate
Professional

I was going to suggest the coil spring not being seated correctly too. You said it squeaks almost non stop. Does it do it if you bounce on one corner or the other or just when rolling? Is it worse over bumps or when turning?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:29 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I did my level kit, I called a buddy of mine who works for Pro Comps R&D facility to see if there were any "tricks of the trade" that I should do when I install it.Besides the usual stuff that I already knew,He said now this might sound a little stupid.But He said to grease the top & the bottom of the spring with bearing grease.Not a whole lot.but just enough to get a good coat on it.If you don't your going to get the dreaded spring squeak. Because the spring is under more pressure than it was,And it moves alot more than you think it does.I didn't belive him and didn't grease them at all.Sure enough,My front springs squeaked all the time.And I mean the ear piercing blood curdling squeak!.I eventually took them back out and greased them up.Now the squeak is gone,And it doesn't sound like my truck has a family of rats in it anymore.

Quick Reply: Squeaking After a Leveling a 2008 Ram