3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just found out she's a sludger...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:06 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nothin'_but_trucks
The 5.7l if I'm not mistaken has a direct oil filler that is straight into the valve cover, right?
No, but you are close. The oil filler tube doesnt go in the VC but in the top side of the block and dumps oil either in the galley or the behind the timing cover. I forget which. Not that it makes much different but I just wanted to explain it.

Dont feel bad though about not seeing a HEMI. Ive never seen a 4.7......

Old 07-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Nothin'_but_trucks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't suppose anyone knows of an aftermarket PCV refit that was made by chance? I haven't found anything and don't think one was ever made, certainly wasn't by Chrysler if there is. Although I don't think that a new PCV would do any better since it is the feed neck that causes the issue.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:18 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just be sure to take it on a long ride occasionally if you make a lot of short trips. This too can cause problems because the oil temp never gets high enough to burn the moisture ans such out of the engine. Hopefully, Dog's suggestion will help remove most of it. Also make sure your thermostat is keeping the engine at the proper temp. My Hemi runs about 203* according to my Predator. Running too cool will also cause sludge problems.
Sounds like the previous owner was a bit lax on the preventive maint.
I pulle the engine out of my 88 Mustang this spring to replace it with a modded low mileage unit. I changed the oil religiously every 3K. Almost always used regular dino oil and at 165K, there is no sludge in this engine and it was run hard. Hopefully, after the MMO and regular changes, it will last a very long time. I would also recommend flushing the cooling system, the 4.7L trucks seem to have an issue with the radiators clogging up too for some strange reason.

Name:  IMG_0447.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  207.7 KB

Old 07-27-2010, 05:10 PM
tsnyder
Professional

who makes this seafoam u guys allways talk about ans sorry for being ignorant about it but what is its purpose a fuel system cleaner?and how do u use it sorry i never heard about it till i came on this forum

Old 07-27-2010, 05:36 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Seafoam makes Seafoam.....LOL

Just go in the store and ask for a bottle

Old 07-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Nothin'_but_trucks
Professional

***Pictures***
Quick bio: I received the truck this past Christmas and did a change with M1 5w30, I changed it again in June after maybe 2k miles. Right now it has SynPower 5w30 so the pictures you are seeing is after a 5 month 2k OCI with M1 and an almost 2 month 1700mi OCI with SynPower. What was in there previously or how often the oil was changed is unknown. I just emptied a quart of SynPower and swapped it out with a quart of MMO and will take pictures after 500 mi where I will then do a full OC, more than likely PP with 1 quart of MMO.

Oil fill neck with the baffle that Chrysler used to "fix" the issue

Bottom end of the baffle

Oil fill neck with the baffle removed

Zoomed in on valves

Slightly more zoomed in on valves

Old 07-27-2010, 06:49 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

ewww. I agree chrysler has "Patched" the problem from viewers eyeballs rather than actually fixing it. Don't be surprised if the MMO doesn't clean up inside the filler neck as that only gets splashed with oil. It'll clean the inside much more than what you may see. Keep an eyeball on your pressure guage on every start-up, but if you go only 500miles you should be perfectly fine.
You may even want to install a 180* t-stat as well to help prevent sludging.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Nothin'_but_trucks
Professional

I've got the 180 already but was thinking about it, maybe switching back to the stock stat wouldn't be a bad idea to further increase the amount of moisture boil off...but then I might increase my chances of overheating due to the 4.7 notorius overheating issue. Kind of a double edged sword if you ask me.

Last edited by Nothin'_but_trucks; 07-27-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:22 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Damn, Ive never seen an engine look like that before.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:06 AM
HouseApe
Professional

Thats nothing. Have a look at this engine. This is a ground power unit that you see at the airport powering 747's and such. They run 24/7. We change the oil every 300 hours. This one had a broken hour meter and it ran for about 3 months before she shut down on low oil pressure but it was too late. Needed a compleat rebuild.
Name:  Picture015.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  140.4 KB
Name:  Picture010.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  212.0 KB
Name:  Picture008.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  218.0 KB
Name:  Picture007.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  134.0 KB

Quick Reply: Just found out she's a sludger...