3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Anthony C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end questions

I have an 05 2500 4X4 5.9 Diesel. I'm going to be putting lockout hubs on the front axle. If I find the ball joint are bad, what ball joints can you recommend? I looked at the Carli ball joints, they are expensive joints! Are they worth the money? $800.00 for 4 of them. Which ball joints are the problem, the upper or the lower? I've read that moog are a waste of time. At one time, Moog was the frontend part to buy. I'm talking 35 years ago! Because of the ball joint not being perpendicular to one another, I hear this is a problem, is it? I do know the upper ball joint should be leaning back a little about 7 degrees to give that stable feel going down the road. I'm not a frontend man, but I can replace what needs to be replaced. I have a good idea of what a front end likes for handling. The control amrs are another problem, which control arms do you guys recommend? I looked at Rocmen, and Carli. I also looked at the upgrade steering linkage. The steering box stablizer, does it make a difference? I look at it this way, if I have to work on the frontend. I only want to do it once. Please help, hands on experience is the best teacher.
Thanking you in advance

Old 07-30-2010, 09:18 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I would only replace the BJ's if they are out of spec. You can test them by lifting the tire off the ground and using a long bar as a wedge to lift up the tire. There should be practically no movement or any noises.
I read a few articles regarding Moog nightmares. I wouldn't spend $800 myself, but just make sure they are a greasable unit. If you replace one, your better off replacing them all IMO. Spend that extra money on your locking hubs or steering stabilizer. Yes the stabilizer helps.

How many miles you got?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 AM
Anthony C

I have about 110,000 miles on the truck, there's brand new tires on it. The new tires can and will hide imperfections on the frontend. My 2 son's used the truck about a month ago to go ATV riding, they both drove it and they both said. They had to chase the steering a little to keep the truck where they wanted it. Not always, just some times. They also said it pulls like it's pissed off! 4, 4 wheelers and their gear is really not a load for that Cummins, I feel it should run away with that. That's exactly why I bought it! Right now I'm in Afghanistan supporting our troops, I should be home in late August, take some time off for vacation with Mamma. Then I'm going to inspect the frontend, whatever it needs I'm replacing. The Carli control amrs beat the Baja in 2007 with no problem, they look like they have a hymn joints that are grease able. Their components are expensive as hell, and they're all rebuildable. These are all off road components, I do a moderate amount of off road. I want to do the frontend once! I would hate to be doing this again in 2 years from now, in my mind. If this has to be done every 2 years or so. I feel I would be saving money in the long run, including my labor. Rokmen has control arms that are a little less, and thay are adjustable. They also are grease able, the adjustments are the weakest points. If an adjustment rod receives a hard jolt, where does it bend. Right at the threads, just like the tie rods on a 4 wheeler! The front axle does have the adjustments for the caster from the factory. I've been exposed to many different types of frontends, and adjustments. I don't konw it all, but there's a lot of common sence in what goes on with the axle type Chrysler uses. It's not a bad idea for an axle without leaf springs, but it needs the best you can get. When it comes to the components that hold it in place. Please give me your opinions, I'm open to discussion. One more statment, I grew up as a poor person. My Dad always said. "The dearest is the cheapest in the end, or leave it alone" My understanding to that statement means. If you have to spend the money, spend it once. The more I've been thinking about it, if I use a less expensive part now, and buy the better one later. I spent more for the good part in the first place, and I don't have to do it 2 times. Before you comment, please look at the Carli parts line for the Dodge.

Thank you so much for your input. (

Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 AM
SilverHemiDan
Rookie

as my parts start to wear,I'm replacing with better ones(some are Carli)
08.5 steering upgrade,carli adjustable track,Don Thuren steering stabilizer,BD steering brace,spicer ujoints(driveshaft)and waiting to be installed are the Carli ball joints and spicer axle ujoints.
I would love to do lock out hubs,someday

I would rather spend a little more and be done for awhile,plus I plan on keeping the truck for awhile..(just my opinion)...

Name:  IMG_1706.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  165.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1223.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  175.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1282.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  200.9 KB

Quick Reply: Front end questions