3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

annoying bump steering wobble on my 2wd ram

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 PM
lyndo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does this bad as well and I've just learned to live with it. I've tossed around the idea of the steering stabilizer and may do it eventually but we'll see. Must be a bit of a design flaw with these trucks because the ford i drive for work, and almost any other truck, is rock solid compared to the ram

Originally Posted by shagbert44
Look up Steering Box Stabilizer. I just put one in my 2006 1500 Mega that had the Death Wobble and bump steer when the leveling kit was in and it handles like a Caddy now. Highly reccomend it
just to clarify this for anyone reading it now, the mega cab 1500's are essentially a 3/4 ton hemi with a 1500 badge. It has the solid front axle and everything that goes with it, unlike the quad and regular cab 1500's which are true 1/2 tons with independent front suspension and different steering mechanisms. So the mega cab 1500's are subject to the death wobble just like the rest of the 3/4 and 1 ton 3rd gens and the fix is the same.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 PM
07Chuck
Rookie
Default Shocks fixed mine

I had the exact same problem, scared the crap out of me on the freeway.. I recently installed Rancho quick lift in the front and it completely eliminate the problem for me

Old 07-31-2012, 08:34 AM
QDIII.

From time to time it makes sense to pull out old threads, so as I read this one I am not sure if I get it right but as per the thread I started (with pictures) maybe you all have the same play in the joint of the tilt shift.

I also recognized (as described in the thread) that after pulling of the steering wheel that the play itself at the hub is becoming less. So?
Explanation for me: If there is just a little play in this specific joint it potentially grows through the steering wheel. Means: If the Steering Wheel Hub is in the position where some play exists and you have a bump on the road (or even straights) it feels like something huge is going wrong.

My assumption is still not yet verfied by a technician but I am sure that I am not that wrong. With some extra money to spend I will check this with my local dodge dealer.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 PM
r1dean

I have been dealing with this issue for the last 4 years. I went to a "P" rated tire that is rated for the same load capacity, that was a marked improvement
50% better. I have noticed that the whole "A" arm assy. are completely updated on the 2009 and later Dodge trucks, a much wider design "A" arm is in place, which makes for a much more rigid arrangement. The Knuckle assembly is no longer made of heavy cast iron, it is now a light weight aluminum part. That reduces the unsprung mass, which goes a long way in reducing the harshness of a large impact. What I am saying is, the engineers completely updated the design because the old system was antiquated.

Last edited by r1dean; 09-30-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:32 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

At first I never had an issue. Over time I did notice a new issue that gradually got worse and worse. I changed everything on my front end. That means UCAs, LBJs, outer tie rods, sway bar links, wheel bearing hubs and rebuilt the calipers. I had no more issue. Then months later I got a bad vibrations like a wheel was out of balance. Come to find out, my tires had knots/bubbles AKA tread throwing on the inside. Replaced all 4 tires and Im good again

Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM
r1dean
Default No more bump steer

I had my alignment guy set the caster to the maximum factory recommended setting and the trouble went away. When I had about 300 lbs. in the bed the truck handled much better. We got the alignment readings loaded and unloaded and than reset the alignment to the loaded settings while it was unloaded.
NO MORE TROUBLE!!

Quick Reply: annoying bump steering wobble on my 2wd ram