3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how many mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:57 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I like that hood lucky, That a side I went with the cat back all american set up from flowmaster, looks good and performs , well better than stock, I'm in a close neighborhood so I get good and loud at wot. and not at start up. but it does have a nice rumble to it. just not obnoxious. Cops in my town have good ears. I may straight pipe the resonator before the muffler, but right now I'm good.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:15 AM
rickof08
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yep, you only got one muffler, the other stuff under there are 2 cats and 2 resonators.

I have long tube headers, the stock cats (although I moved them back about 18" to fit the headers), a "Y" pipe I had fabbed up (not as good as the Maggy "Y" but not near as bad as the stock one), then a Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler going to two stainless tips.

It'll disturb the peace pretty well if I get on it at all...
Hey Hammer, what kind of gains am I looking at if I delete the resonators, put in a maggy y-pipe and cherry bomb extreme 3inch in/dual 2.5 out?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rickof08
Hey Hammer, what kind of gains am I looking at if I delete the resonators, put in a maggy y-pipe and cherry bomb extreme 3inch in/dual 2.5 out?
resonators really aren't restrictive at all, they work by using a sound reflection/cancelling technology and don't redirect air flow much if at all.
The stock "Y" is terrible though and the stock muffler has about a 350 cfm rate.

A better "Y" and a Cherry Bomb Extreme with a cfm rate up over 500 will help some, but we are only talking single digit HP gains here. Although the increased sound will have you thinking you've gained a good bit more HP.

To have gains that you'd actually feel, you'd need to combine a CAI with something more than just a catback (ie. headers)...

Old 08-02-2010, 11:41 AM
luckydt
Veteran

Rocket it's fairly easy to make it happen. The hood scoop painted and the grille painted along with the cost to buy the hood scoop i have about 400 into it. I would really like to get a venom hood, but i have some other things that will happen first.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:55 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by luckydt
Rocket it's fairly easy to make it happen. The hood scoop painted and the grille painted along with the cost to buy the hood scoop i have about 400 into it. I would really like to get a venom hood, but i have some other things that will happen first.
Mine's fake for now too. $162 bucks to the door painted from Stylintrucks.com. Added the "gutta grille" home made insert for the appearance of a real scoop.

That'll change. Soon as I have the time and an extra pair of hands for help, I'm gonna remove the scoop and hood, cut a hole where the scoop was, cut the front out and make a real mesh insert and reattach it.
Re-make my CAI with the filter angled into the scoop for cool air.

This will give me my space back for the factory 2nd battery tray as I want to goto 2 batteries.

Kinda kill 2 mods off at once. I figure to tackle it when I can get back up to the farm just before dove season starts in a month...

and now we are a bit off the original muffler question, LOL...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-02-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:05 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, sure like my fm's ,lol.op go with the cat back, see if you like it, that can be done in the driveway btw. If you need more then you can do the shorty headers, and still keep the cat back.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:23 PM
texas_rebel_1980
Professional

i have one flowmaster, and its dumped right by the axle. it is loud when i get on the throttle and a nice rumble at the stop lights. my brother is a gear head and likes racing and he even compliments on how nice it sounds.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 PM
HemiRam1566
Veteran

sounds good.. i think i might get a flowmaster or magnaflow and dump it before the axle until i get my duals..

Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

If your choices are between a Flowmaster or a Magnaflow, get the Maggie. Flowmaster mufflers have a cfm rate that's not any better than the stock muffler and unless you shell out the $$ for one of their stainless models, they tend to rust VERY quickly.

No disputing they sound very good, but their performance and durability leaves a lot to be desired...

Quick Reply: how many mufflers?