3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E-fan not doing the job.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:48 AM
rovman
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Perma-Cool fan ... 2300cfm. It is mounted to the shroud near the opening, about the same location as the clutch fan would fit. I run a 195* t-stat at the moment.

Here in S. Louisiana we have been getting 95+ temps and very high humidity for the last month and a half.

Recently, I was towing my travel trailer (apprx 5500lbs loaded) for an hour and a half to a campground w/o issue. Temp gauge shows in the middle/slightly lower indicating around the t-stat opening. When stopped, fan comes on and brings temp into check.

I have a fan controller from A-Zone - I think it is Hayden. It is a variable on/off. Comes on and stays on until temp drop about 15 degrees. I have mine set to come on at apprx 205*. It cuts off at normal t-stat opening, thus not running while I am going down the road at traveling speed.

Because of towing needs and potential for long climbs, I will be getting a Jet 180* t-stat and installing an oil cooler.

I do make sure to regularly clean the radiator fins w/cleaner.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:36 AM
04FloridaHemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rovman, how did you mount it near the opening? Can you get pics?

Old 08-08-2010, 08:39 AM
rovman
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I leave for offshore this morning and can't get the pics.

The fan I got has a 4-leg frame ... 4 mounting points which would mount flat to a surface. Imagine the fan laying flat on the floor, the mounting points would touch the floor.

I carefully bent those legs to where the mounting points each touched the opening of the shroud (you have to know your shroud ID and the size of the frame of the fan you are using). With the shroud removed and in front of me, I then marked/drilled the holes and bolted up.

Keep in mind, the perma-cool fan I bought is just the fan w/mounting frame ... it does not have a shroud built with it so it made my install all the easier. I wanted to keep the factory shroud to maintain the pull of air through the radiator.

I have not had problems with overheating. I have noted when pulling my trailer that the engine runs about 10-15 degrees hotter than normal which puts me at my fan on/off setting. With a 195* t-stat, I have my fan on at 205-207* so it is off at 195*. So... you can see that when towing my fan can be on even down the road since the 195* t-stat maintains a temp higher than the shut-off of the fan relay.

So I will be putting a 180* t-stat for that reason alone ... not because I am overheating.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:55 PM
04FloridaHemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, well explained

Quick Reply: E-fan not doing the job.