3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Real Bad Brake Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 04:43 PM
blackram1500
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brakes

They are disc all the way around. The rotors i bought are not the cheap ones, i never beleive going with the cheaper ones.
When i am going around 65 to 70 down the highway and apply the brakes the wheel is shaking really hard but don't feel anything on the pedal. I did have a clicking sound about 2 months ago from the front drivers side wheel and a squeel when i i am coming from a stop but that now has gone away. Could it even be a caliper the has a sticking piston?

Old 08-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be a good idea to put the truck up jackstands and do a detailed inspected of the brakes/rotors---check the disc runout if you have a dial----or pull them off, and mount them on a brake lathe and check the run out----it will tell you if they are warped or not----you may be able to see it. Check the pads, make sure they look ok.

Rotors are where I would start, but I would take a GOOD lok at everything else in the steering system too---you may have more going on than warped rotors.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:12 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep......as Gone Fishin said, time to get the truck up and have a look see at what's happening.
Could be sticking caliper pistons due to sirt/debris and also a cut/damaged piston boot, allowing corrosion and dirt to get to the piston causing it to stick.
Also check on if the caliper slider bolts are free and that the caliper "floats" above the rotor. They are notoriously left out of a brake rebuild but are critical in good braking operation.
You will sometimes have the shaking in the wheel and not feel a brake pedal pulsing and vice versa, so that's not unusual OP
A squeeling from the front could have been sticking pads. The clicking is usually an outer CV joint going bad.
Al.

Quick Reply: Real Bad Brake Problem...