3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine dies at red lights, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 01:25 PM
xoktoberskylinex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies at red lights, need help

I have a 2004 1500, when ever I come to a red light or if it sits to long after driving for a little, it will just die off on the tach, the lights stay on, the truck starts right back up, but its just un-nerving with all the driving I do for work. I have changed the oil recently, but don't think that has anything to do with it, I also added headers, which is the most likely thing to cause the problem to me, but can't tie it in to well to how. Please help, I need my truck to be reliable again.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:34 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

egr valve needs replaced or cleaned. Thats the first thing that comes too mind.How long since the plugs have been changed? thats the second thing. If you can't pull a code, the next thing is bad fuel. Could be throttle body, but I doubt it, I've seen plenty of dirty ones and they didn't have this problem. I don't know where the egr valve is, but I will keep track of this thread , case some one can tell Us . Mine is an o6. dunno where yours is.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:35 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You getting a CEL?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:41 PM
xoktoberskylinex

The throttle body is fairly clean, the plugs were replaced last July, I have been putting alot of different fuel in it because I just drove from Utah to North Carolina. I haven't tried to get a code pulled from it yet, that's on the to do list for today though. But I will try to find the egr valve.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:05 PM
wolf22m
Rookie
Default Iac

Try pulling the idle air control valve off the throttle body and cleaning it. Mine was surging and almost stalling. Took it off and cleaned it and it is MUCH better now. I may need to do my EGR valve as well and may check the throttle posistion sensor for calibration while I am at it.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:54 PM
red ram ridin
Rookie

Mine is doing the same thing right now, stalling at lights or coming to a stop, I can rev it up and it will just drop dead on its way down sometimes. Mines 2003, no CEL. Whats up??????

Old 08-10-2010, 01:16 PM
red ram ridin
Rookie

Have you disconnected your battery prior to this problem? Because your truck went back to factory settings if you did and needs to relearn its idle and whatnot.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:23 PM
xoktoberskylinex

No I haven't disconnected the battery since the beginning of July, it sould have relearned it by now. This problem just started on friday when I ran from North Carolina to Pennsylvania for the weekend. I think I did get some dirty/bad gas somewhere, I filled it a couple times at some shady places because they were the only ones near by and I needed the gas bad. Tomorrow I'm going to check out the EGR, the throttle body, and the idle air control valve to see if those fix it. I'll let ya'll know.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:29 PM
brettj2408
Captain

try a throttle re-learn. i have seen these problems start on the electornic throttles

Old 08-10-2010, 08:27 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Bad gas is a big possibility. I got a load of bad gas in my Honda last year. The thing goes forever on a tank of gas when I'm travelling, but on my way back from Florida, I got only about 22 instead of 32 mpg. The next tankful was better, and two tanks later, it was back to normal. I suspect bad gas in my case, and it could be for you also.

If you think it's bad gas, try to run it down to around 1/4 tank or less before you fill up so that you'll dilute the bad stuff as much as possible.

Quick Reply: Engine dies at red lights, need help