3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Gap for ckp/cmp

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:22 AM
ljhopp
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cam sensor doesn't look to have any marks from contact, but that sensor has a plastic cover so it would be hard to till if it did. I did go buy a new cam sensor and put it in to see if the cam sensor was bad nothing improved so I took it out and brought it back. But that is the sensor that I think had the marks on it but I am not for sure. I have to take the crank sensor out and check for marks and put the spacer in.

This has been a very hard problem to diagnosis because no body has ever said that they fixed this problem by putting a spacer in between the head and the sensor. Everyone just keeps replacing them until they eventually happen to get a correct air gap that works at least this what I think happens.

A lot of people seem to get the code right after a engine swap, which also makes me think the air gap when they tranfered the sensors where never correct so the code comes up even if they put new sensors in.

Last edited by ljhopp; 08-10-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:45 AM
ljhopp
Rookie

Just an update, I went and got a new cam sensor to put to see if it would fix my p1391 problem. Well when I put the new sensor in the jeep ran worse so loosen the screw pulled the sensor out some more and guess what the symptoms were done. So I ended up having to use a 3/8 washer the .032 spacer I had wasn't big enough. When I started the jeep no more hesiation when pushing on the gas pedal. But when i went for a drive when I would take off from stop I would have a slight hesitation then the jeep would take right off but once the jeep was moving I can floor it all I want with no problems, runs like it suppose to. So I am gonna play with the air gap some more trying different spacers to see which fixs the hesiatation when take off. I also noticed the old sensor for the crank looked like it had a spacer built in to the sensor, their was a metal ridge on one side of the spacer. The new sensors do not have that metal ridge. So I am gonna take it back out and put a .032 spacer on it and see what that does.

When people say the aftermarket sensors don't work I think the problem is that the aftermarket sensors aren't to factory spec for lenght of the sensor so the air gaps are not the same. When the air gap of these sensors aren't right the sensor won't work like it's suppose to.

Last edited by ljhopp; 08-19-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:52 PM
RJ186

OMG this post was so long ago.... please tell me this somehow reaches you and you can tell me what you did for this?? I think you are spot on abt the difference in aftermarket and mopar. Ive bought 2 crank and 2 cam sensors within a mnth. Aftermarket, now mopar. Now im realizing the tips are being scratched... so spacers... what size spacers??? I need this issue to go away... also i heard to use fiber washers?! Please help me!

Originally Posted by ljhopp
Just an update, I went and got a new cam sensor to put to see if it would fix my p1391 problem. Well when I put the new sensor in the jeep ran worse so loosen the screw pulled the sensor out some more and guess what the symptoms were done. So I ended up having to use a 3/8 washer the .032 spacer I had wasn't big enough. When I started the jeep no more hesiation when pushing on the gas pedal. But when i went for a drive when I would take off from stop I would have a slight hesitation then the jeep would take right off but once the jeep was moving I can floor it all I want with no problems, runs like it suppose to. So I am gonna play with the air gap some more trying different spacers to see which fixs the hesiatation when take off. I also noticed the old sensor for the crank looked like it had a spacer built in to the sensor, their was a metal ridge on one side of the spacer. The new sensors do not have that metal ridge. So I am gonna take it back out and put a .032 spacer on it and see what that does.

When people say the aftermarket sensors don't work I think the problem is that the aftermarket sensors aren't to factory spec for lenght of the sensor so the air gaps are not the same. When the air gap of these sensors aren't right the sensor won't work like it's suppose to.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:40 PM
Barry Stang

Originally Posted by ljhopp
How do you measure the air gap of these sensors to rule out a possible "to small or to big" air gap?
I had a problem with my 98 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 l automatic, broke to ckp and decided to call another Rebuilder since the one that rebuild my transmission did not warn me, the Builder I called said that if I put a piece of thin cardboard on the tip of the sensor take it down to it touches and shim ckp it would be good to go. I know a regular business card is about 30 thousands of an inch he said it would eat the cardboard piece off and my ckp would be set! I've never tried this before but I know this I accidentally hit the first one with the transmission installing it and broke it and the one I replaced it with bottoms out and it eats the tip off of it when you crank the truck. This can be expensive because part dealers do not warn anyone about things like this entering the years evidently you're supposed to use an air gap spacer called a shim. I called it as a liability and made them pay for my ckp because of this they didn't want to argue when I said liability oh, they did enter is a faulty part!

Quick Reply: Air Gap for ckp/cmp