3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loss of throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 PM
chris015
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loss of throttle response

03 1500 5.7

complete tuneup 40k miles ago with champ platinums.(02 sensors,cat went bad,replaced that..then fuel filter,plugs,wires etc the whole works

it has a k&n drop in filter,i clean it every 20k miles or so. Im getting 16mpg city.

did all that at 100k miles^^^

ran great!

51k later

the throttle response has sucked now for a while,i have cleaned the throttle body,seafoamed the truck, ran all those "amazing" additives etc. and still no help.

i can be going 55 mpg and slam the gas and it takes 1/3 of a sec for it to realize "oh i need to go"..or i can just tap on the throttle and it does nothing.any ideas?

other problems
it idles at 800 then 500 off and on during the day at redlights etc. and the powersteering rack etc is leaking. which i heard was common which i just top off with fluid every once in a while

Last edited by chris015; 08-09-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 PM
brettj2408
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hemis like copper core plugs rather than the more expensive platnium plugs. pull a plug and inspect it.

it your etc light on your dash?

try a throttle re-learn.
turn the truck to run with the engine off slowly push down the pedal in stages. (take like 5 to 8 seconds to push it all the way down then slowly lift your foot off the pedal taking time about 5 - 8 seconds as well.

then turn truck off and start it and see if that helped

Old 08-10-2010, 08:07 PM
FrostKing
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris015
03 1500 5.7

complete tuneup 40k miles ago with champ platinums.(02 sensors,cat went bad,replaced that..then fuel filter,plugs,wires etc the whole works

it has a k&n drop in filter,i clean it every 20k miles or so. Im getting 16mpg city.

did all that at 100k miles^^^

ran great!

51k later

the throttle response has sucked now for a while,i have cleaned the throttle body,seafoamed the truck, ran all those "amazing" additives etc. and still no help.

i can be going 55 mpg and slam the gas and it takes 1/3 of a sec for it to realize "oh i need to go"..or i can just tap on the throttle and it does nothing.any ideas?

other problems
it idles at 800 then 500 off and on during the day at redlights etc. and the powersteering rack etc is leaking. which i heard was common which i just top off with fluid every once in a while
Yes, get rid of the platinum plugs and check your coils for signs of overheating / melting. I just replaced my '03 throttlebody and it runs at least a thousand times better. I should have done it 3 years ago. The blade design has also changed as well as there being a TSB regarding our throttle-bodies and a reflash for the computer.

Quick Reply: loss of throttle response