3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hardest Question on Dodge Forum?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:23 PM
rydesolow
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardest Question on Dodge Forum?

Ok guys, this one is slightly baffling to me. 2002 Dodge Ram 4x4 SLT Plus 5.9 A4 QC - Have superchips, k&n, exhaust, etc. Ran perfect until a few days ago. Out of the blue, when coming to a stop from any speed above 10MPH, my anti lock brakes start to kick in, from 10 to 0. So, if im creeping along at anything under 10 they are constantly on if I'm touching my brakes. Weird, right? The (ABS) and (BRAKE) light came on the other day for a few min but then turned off. Today I noticed the next piece of the puzzle. When I'm accelerating, the speedo DOESNT register(move) until I'm over 10MPH. This leads me to believe that it's not my ABS that is the problem, but my truck thinks my tire is spinning when I'm not in motion therefore turning on ABS to eliminate slipping. I checked my superchips today, no diagnostic or engine codes, says the programming is OK. Never had a prob like this before, been running same setup for a while now. Anyone have any ideas? Is my speedo sensor at the trans going funny? I'm not really sure what's up. Trans is working perfectly fine, and 30MPH is actually 30MPH, etc etc. I do have it reprogrammed for 37" tires, maybe I'll try to reset it and set the speedo again for 37's and see if it fixes it. Anyone experience this before? Need ideas! Thanks guys!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 PM
brettj2408
Captain

might have a loose wheel bearing.
also check your wheel speed sensors connections and tone rings.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 PM
rydesolow
Veteran

bearings are all tight. not sure how to check wheel speed sensors, just for debree? does the CPU use the tone rings/abs to detect speed or is there a sensor in the trans/rear axle?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:27 PM
freestyledude
Captain

Pull the rear wheel sensor on top of the rear diff, check to see if it has some crap stuck to it. That may be your problem and explain the lights

Old 08-10-2010, 10:49 PM
huseman808
Captain

yea what freestyle said. It is a common problem and can cause the speedo to not work at all. i would start there. its on the rear diff like he said

Old 08-10-2010, 11:22 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Iknow a crqcked, dirty or corroded abs sensor would cause th abs to kick in like that, but tha doesn't answer your speedo issue. I concur with the other guys as to where to start.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 AM
rydesolow
Veteran

allright. it's morning, so i'll check out the rear pumpkin sensor today. hopin thats the prob, and hopin its not. cauz if it is the prob, and its metal chunks, that means its time for new rear gears.. lol

Old 08-16-2010, 07:13 PM
rydesolow
Veteran

Rear diff wheel speed sensor (rear abs sensor) was dirty and not throwing back any signal. This is what was causing it all, lol.

Quick Reply: Hardest Question on Dodge Forum?