3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"Death Wobble" - Did Steering Box Stabilizer help or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:47 PM
stainlessdreams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.9lturbocummins
bbeamer i have the same truck an 06 qc 4x4. The first thing i did was replaced the inner and outer tie rods and drag link as well as track bar bushings. This helped me out some but i still have death wobble. Next i put on a dual steering stabilizer and then a bd steering box stabilizer, again helped but i still have death wobble. I finally got rid of the factory bfg tires and 90% of it stopped. I have driven 8 months on the new parts/tires and now its back full force at 60mph+ and hit a bump, hold on to your seat (maybe clean it!!!) i get dw at 60mph+ hitting bumps or even slightly turning my steering wheel as if i was changing lanes. I called Don @ thurenfabrication, he has been dealing with these issues i think for 10+ years and all he kept telling me was replace my tracbar!! He says even with bad ball joints, u-joints that our trucks should not wobble like that!! The tracbar is suppose to center the axle under the truck and any play in bushing would cause movement and the movement would be even greater at highway speeds and hitting bumps causing the wobble!!! He says no play at all in the tracbar. My bushings I replaced on my factory tracbar are only 8 months old and are shot already!!! I just ordered his tracbar last week so when i get it ill let you know what happens. Hope this helps!!! Try thurenfabrication and atleast talk to Don about your experiences, he is very helpful and seems to me he knows what he is talking about!!!! His number is 805-886-9250 more than likely you'll have to leave a message but he is really good about returning calls, most of the time the same day but no more than a day!!!
i got the adjustable trac bar from bd diesel, staeering box stabilizer, energy suspension sway bar bushings, alignment, and still have the death wobble. its terrible, every time it happens im scared my trucks gonna fall apart

Old 11-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Tractor
Professional

Please re-read post # 11.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:53 PM
tsummers
Default Steering Box Stabilizer Did not help

I just installed the steering box stabbilizer on my 2007 2500 and it did not help the Death Wobble. I replaced the track bar bushings also and neither has helped. Not sure what to do next.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:41 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was mentioned near the end of this thread, and I agree with it, that it may well be shocks and starts with the rear of the unloaded vehicle as I have experinced "DW" slightly in my 1500 many times, most always in the same spots where the road goes to crap, then stops when smooth again. There is this other spot that I know of that the road is generally smooth, but has this one big bump that if it hits just right, I feel the back end lift up seems like off the ground and slides over about 4 inches...but once I get back straight, it was like nothing happened...So I am wondering that when I hit the section of road that has a real rough surface, if it is the back end jumping all over the place, causing our natural reaction to straighten the vehicle back out, and we just think its in the steering, cuz we are instinctivly steering, without really knowing it and think it is the steering wheel kind of "moving by itself" like it is a steering componant issue

(edit) I also recall that this issue started when I got these tires on my truck, and it is A LOT worse when they are fully inflated...so I run my tires a little low to help cushion the ride, since I can't afford new shocks, or better tires, and since I am still contemplating the partial psuedo power wagon swap that I mentioned in another thread a while back...I don't know if it is the tires at fault, or if maybe my truck just started getting enough where in the shocks at that time, or what the deal is, but again, my tire pressure changes the issue. I know I have a 1500 and mostly people are saying it is the 2500/3500's with the issues, but it sure sounds the same as what my truck does

Last edited by HemiMoparGuy1981; 05-20-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 PM
travisfimple
Rookie

Seems like there are two different scenarios going on here, a steering issue with some of you guys and a suspension issue with others.

I get the vibration on my 2008 2500 4x4 after I did a 2" leveling kit and upgraded to 35" tires. Only happens when going over 50mph and hit a bump. I do not lose any stearing control or get any bump steer like in a DW, only the front tires start bouncing and it takes no effort to maintain a straight line. Only slowing down to about 40 gets it back under control. This truck has less than 30k on it and the steering is tight and like new. Definitely happens more often when I have some weight in the back, raising/lightening the front up a little.

I think the leveling kit has my shocks almost maxed out then hitting a rough surface gets the stock shocks over extended and they have no rebound left in them. Going to upgrade to extended shocks made for a 2" lift kit, when I get some cash. Will definitely post here and let you all know if this does anything.

What do you guys think? Anyone else tried this remedy?

Old 05-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

You should feel it if you're topping out your shocks, at least I would think you should.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:11 AM
mrbb1
Professional

I have had the Dw on my 01, and 04 2500 hemi, but not had any issue's on My 06 2500 hemi(yet)

I have heard good things about this

http://www.klmstore.com/dodge-steering-upgrades.aspx

it CLAIMS to resolve the issue and make for better steering on your truck
and I figure to replace all old part, its costs about the same to up grade to this
so might be worth a try to guys that want to long term keep there truck, and turn tools to save on the install

Old 05-22-2011, 01:32 PM
stainlessdreams

I have experinced "DW" slightly in my 1500 many times,

what your experiencing isnt the death wobble as you have independant suspension in your truck. death wobble only happens on solid front axle vehicles (aam or dana) axles in jeeps, dodge rams, and fords.

Quick Reply: "Death Wobble" - Did Steering Box Stabilizer help or not?