3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shifting clunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:19 PM
srw1990
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting clunk

Whats going on guys i drive a 04 ram hemi 60k miles.L atley when i take off and shift into drive i hear a clank. I figured it was the universal joints so i went ahead and bought them, then today i finally got around to doing the job. I got the driveshaft out and changed the rear one and it was fine everything was greased all the needle bearings in place so i put it back together and realized that wasnt the issue, i moved around the rear around and can feel a little play with the truck jacked up moving the tire. Do you guys have any ideas what the next step i should take is? thanks alot for your insight. Steve

Old 08-15-2010, 06:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
If its in the rear diff, it could be backlash. You could remove the axles and adjust the side bearings,and see if the clank is gone.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:06 PM
tsnyder
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i get the same thing it comes and goes i recently had put my truck to stock with my sc 6815 and the flashed it for a egr update and when i got it back was fine but once i put my chip back in and to performance it had a huge delay then slam it would go into gear .

they did replace my rightside axle seal due to it was leaking could this what u posted above be my issue??

Quick Reply: shifting clunk